Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2610 ** PCI Exception Error **

Status
Not open for further replies.

killersheep

Technical User
Dec 7, 2004
US
Hi all,

I have a cisco 2610 with IOS 12.3(10) with 1 T1 CSU/DSU and 64M Dram and 16M flash. I just bought a NM-4A/S module. Everything works fine on the router until I add the new module. Once I instal it and reboot I get the **PCI Exception Error** with some numbers below it. I will post the exact error message when I get home later. It does not seem to be passing the post test and errors almost immediately. Once I remove the module everything is fine again. Any help at all would be appreciated. I can also post any further info you may need about the router when I get home.

Thanks,
Killersheep

Do you know that the NM module is good? Cause it sounds like it's not. The IOS you have does support the module according to Cisco's website.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Yes, I forgot to mention, I put the Module in another 2600 with the same IOS and memory and it worked fine. Sorry for leaving out that important peice of info. Brain is a little fried from working on it so late last night.

So it only quits in this "one" router. Hmmm....have you tried another NM in this router? And does it work or have issues?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Unfortunately I have no other modules that will fit that slot. I did take out the T1 WIC to make sure I wasn't getting some sort of conflict but I am still getting the following error:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.
TAC:Home:SW:IOS:Specials for info

*** PCI Parity Error Exception ***
PC = 0xfff058bc, Vector = 0x100, SP = 0x680127c8

That is as far as it goes and then just hangs. I am starting to think that the slot is hosed.

I think your right. I've see similar messages on a 3640, and they are all NM slots.

Thats what I was afraid of. I changed everything including the memory. Everything except the main board, so that has to be it. I just built this lab for home and I was hoping to use the 2610 with the 4 port nm module as my frame switch. Not really necessary since I work with Frame Relay and ATM everyday. Was just hoping to have a complete lab. If I can get another cheap I will replace it.

One last question, since your an instructor, I have a catalyst 1912 & 1924. Is this enough to practice for the switching exam for CCNP?

I appreciate all your help.

Just as a heads up, I replaced the motherboard and used all the existing hardware and the NM-4A/S module works great. So the motherboard was the culprit.

Thanks for your help IPKONFIG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back