Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2610 'Password Recovery is Disabled' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoronaAxe02

Vendor
Jul 10, 2008
I have 2 Cisco 2610 routers with the password recovery disabled. I've tried all the solutions Cisco's website has offered, or that I could find. Here is the link I found:

When I send the break command after I see "Image text-base", I answer the prompts but it doesn't reset the unit to the factory defaults....both routers go straight back to being password protected with no Rommon access. Am I screwed? or is there another way around this?

I'm most likely going to return these units anyway for reasons other than the recovery problem, but I'd still like to know if anyone can help...just in case they won't take the units back and for future reference. Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!

router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#no service password-recovery

Do this, and try and change the config register.

router(config)#end
router#wr
router#reload

Try and get into rommon now! muahahahahahaha...

Before you do this, make DAMN sure you know your passwords! I am NOT guaranteeing that what I posted will not destroy (dc arc) the NVRAM chip...socketing that bastard with power on is generally a no-no, like "You're fired"...

Burt

TOB,

The problem was with "no service password-recovery", you can't get to rommon to change the configuration register because the break sequence is not recongized.

Burt, you are an evil, evil genius. Pinky and the Brain would be proud! However, I'm not about to try this on my boxes. The magic smoke will probably come out for me since I am not a lucky man. However, this was probably your day to win powerball and you wasted it on nvram!

So you think. Just because of that, I'm going to do it to my 3640, my other two 2620's, my 2620XM...nah, not that one...my 1720, my 1750 and my 2503. I may even do it to my CatOS 2980G's...nah, they're too awesome...
I wonder if there's a similar way to disable it on CatOS...

The thing that told me to do it (other than the devil, Arrol Flynn, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix...and who could forget Bradley Nowell) was the fact that I was able to boot without NVRAM in it at all. What's the worst that could happen? Think Cisco will publish this as a solution? Hot-swapping NVRAM???lol

Buyt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back