Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco 2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgowanbl

Technical User
Mar 25, 2005
US
2600 boots to "rommon 1 >" after erasing flash.
at "rommon 1 >" typed "dev" and shows "flash:"
typing "dir flash:" results in error "device does not contain a valid magic number"

attempting to load an ios image using Router software loader results in a flash memory capacity of 0.

Was I simply unlucky enough to have erased a physically unusable flash memory or can this be fixed.

I have an image that ware provided on my 2600 router software installation cd but it does not have a decompressed image. It has a cdrom:\images\12.0\aaa0532.bin format file. These dont seem to load.

Ive decompressed the file and it contains a file named "c2600-i-.bin" but this still is not the right format of the file and will not load over tftp or even xmodem.

my xmodem command is xmodem -r
then I choose send and specify the location of the 26xxx.bin file all within my hyperterminal session.

Router Software loader will load the image I have on the cd if only it would recognize that the flash memory had some capacity other then 0.00kb

xmodem -c to check crc errors....
do a ? or help to sh valid rommon commands.
need something like flash_init, erase flash, delete falsh, something like that available ?

What model 2600 you got ?
need address to send image to.

I did "xmodem -c c2600-i-.bin"
then specified the same file by that name from the hyperterminal session, but it did not transfer at all for more than 10 minutes.

Then I tried xmodem -r
then specified the same file by that name from the hyperterminal session, but it did not transfer at all for more than 10 minutes.

Im quite sure the problem is that the file is not properly formatted in any other way then to transer through Router Software Loader. But of course doing it that way states there is no flash memory.

? did not show availalbe commands at rommon, I was very depressed to find that out.

bleemcg-1978@yahoo.com
2600 not sure what specific model.
Looks like 3 serial ports and a single ethernet.
Ive forgotten how to id the specific model beyond the printed number in the front.

Should be on the back....also try "help" instead of ? for valid commands. Model number should be on the back....sound like a 2610.

If you are having problems running xmodem -r, "but it did not transfer at all for more than 10 minutes.
"
, there is something else wrong besides the file you are trying to copy. I copied a non-cisco file that way and even an old config to the flash of a 2600 yesterday. Of course, the router won't boot non-IOS code, but it should copy a file there via this method in rommon> I'd review your console connection and Hyperterminal settings(i.e.9600,8,n,1 and flowcontrol) It will tak a long time to load, but you should see the transfer stats start moving in the first 30 seconds or so.

Also,since this takes awhile,if you are using a laptop or PC set to go into standby, turn it off. I wasted several hours one day moving a file via the console cable and had my laptop "go to sleep" on me when about 90% done. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

After issuing the xmodem command did you go to the transfer and send the file????

Yes the router should give you a message that indicates when to start sending the file. Then like you mention, go to Transfer>Send File.... in Hyperterminal.

Forget xmodem...to slow....try entering the following from rommon with router connected to network on 1st ethernet port
Start tftp server and put ios in default directory the enter the following and remember that it is case sensative:

rommon 1> IP_ADDRESS=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
rommon 2> IP_SUBNET_MASK=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
rommon 3> DEFAULT_GATEWAY=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
rommon 4> TFTP_SERVER=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
rommon 5> TFTP_FILE=exact full file name of IOS
rommon 6> TFTP_CHECKSUM=0
this one is in lower case
rommon 7> tftpdnld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor