Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2600 with Single Ethernet Interface with multiple IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosheh

Technical User
May 21, 2006
IL
Hi,

I have Cisco 2600 router IOS 12.x with a single Ethernet Interface. I want it to be able to route between different networks , on the same leg
I would like to know how I can configure the following in particular:

1- Routing between the 10.1.0.0/16 network and 230.14.14.0/24 networks

- Without using any Vlans

- With each leg in a different Vlan

I do not want to use another router. As a matter of fact I would also like to know if I can do an even larger routing cloud that use the same router. That is each PC on a different subnet will use the relevant interface address on the router and get routed to another PC on another subnet.

well your vlans will need a router to talk to each other.. so youll need to trunk your fastethernet port on the router to the switch...

is the 230.14.14.0/24 network via some other interface?
if its on your lan then it will need to be in one of those vlans too..

I'm not really sure what he exactly want.

so mosheh please clear up ur Question

he want a leg lol.

there is no way you can do this without a switch period!

To route between two different networks on the same LAN interface you could use the secondary commmand as shown below. But you mention each let is in different VLAN's, so not sure why you say without using VLAN's it would seem as if you already have them setup.

You wouldn't be able to use the secondary if each subnet is in different VLAN's because they wouldn't be in the same broadcast domain so your other option is to do what plshlpme said and use trunking..

If you can do without seperate VLAN (not the best option) for each subnet do the following on the lan interface.
ip address 10.1.0.0 255.255.0.0
ip address 230.14.14.0 255.255.255.0 secondary

Or I am not sure if this would work but it may be possible to do a secondary subnet on the same vlan sub-interface.

Still pretty new to this but I am curious to find out what solution you use. Hope I am giving you the correct info I am still learning.

keep in mind that routing protocols usually wont form adjacencies on secondary addresses.

Not with network 230.14.14.0 you won't, that is a multicast address..........

224.0.0.0/4 (224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255) are multicast addresses. You won't be able to configure this address on any interface.

Andy

By the way, you can route between VLANs on an ethenet interface, versus a fastethernet interface (which will also do this), but it must be a 2600 series with a certain IOS. I do not know which...

Burt

Good catch ADB100 didnt even notice that it was multicast address. Also Plshlpme you mentioned that routing protocols usually wont form adjacency with secondary IP's. Since you say usually what are the exceptions where they will?

Also I thought that you always have to route between vlans I am incorrect on this as well?

i dont know if there are any eceptions :p
i just dont like to say never because someone will always come on and prove you wrong. LOL

in my head im saying never though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back