Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2600 Series Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delboy16

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
GB
I have a 2600 router for which I am unable gain access. When I try to get in from a reboot the RomMon Prompt appears. I then get two messages they are:-
Boot: Cannot open Flash
Boot: Cannot determin first file name "flash"
I am trying to getthis device back to a factory default so as to reprogram to suit a new enviroment. Can anybody give some advise, ( is the flash enviroment corrupt?)if so how do I do a rebuild. Any help would be most gratefull

Thanks for the info Tony Unfortunetly I could not access cisco site. I have since put an image onto the router. When I try get to the enable password I find that I can not get in. I think the original PW is still active. Is there a way to default this and the secret password?

go in to rmmon, change the config registers to ignore the config in NVRAM, boot the rooter, you'll get the RXBOOT default image/config loaded, make any interface configs you need (if you have to for some reason) set the config reg back (0x2102) boot the box. You now have the ability to logon on enter enable (as the passwords have been scrubbed) and you're good to go.

I3stuff, you're way off. What you do for password recovery is the following, from a Semester 2 CCNA lab.

1: Be consoled into the router
2: Turn off the router via the power switch, then turn it back on
3: Within 60 seconds, press Control+Break
4: Type o/r 0x42, press Enter
5: Type b, press Enter

The router will now boot without loading the NVRAM. Next, enter Privelaged EXEC.

6: Type "en", press Enter

Your prompt should, at this point, say Router#

7: Type "copy start run", press Enter
8: Type "conf t", press Enter
9: Type &quot;enable secret <password>&quot;, press Enter

Substitute <password> with what you want your secret password to be. If done properly, you should have your existing configuration loaded, with the new password in RAM. The next phase is critical. If you reload before doing this, you must start from scratch.

10: Press Control+Z
11: Type &quot;copy run start&quot;, press Enter
12: Press Enter

Note that all of this is based on that your configuration is stored in NVRAM.

Password Recover for a 2600 Series router...

For those without access to Cisco's secure site, I copied and pasted the instructions below...

Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation to the console port of the router. Use the following terminal settings:

9600 baud rate
No parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit
No flow control

If you still have access to the router, type show version and record the setting of the configuration register; it is usually 0x2102 or 0x102. Click here to see the output of a show version command.
If you don't have access to the router (because of a lost login or tacacs password), you can safely consider that your configuration register is set to 0x2102.
Using the power switch, turn off the router and then turn it back on.

Important: To simulate step 4 on a Cisco 6400, pull out and then replace the Node Route Processor (NRP) or Node Switch Processor (NSP) card.

Important: To simulate step 4 on a Cisco 6x00 using NI-2, pull out and then replace the NI-2 card.

Press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60 seconds of the power-up to put the router into ROMMON.

If the break sequence doesn't work, see Possible Key Combinations for Break Sequence During Password Recovery for other key combinations.

Type confreg 0x2142 at the rommon 1> prompt to boot from Flash without loading the configuration.
Type reset at the rommon 2> prompt.

The router reboots but ignores its saved configuration.

Type no after each setup question or press Ctrl-C to skip the initial setup procedure.
Type enable at the Router> prompt.

You'll be in enable mode and see the Router# prompt.

Important: Type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config to copy the nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) into memory. Do not type configure terminal.
Type write terminal or show running-config.

The show running-config and write terminal commands show the configuration of the router. In this configuration you see under all the interfaces the shutdown command, which means all interfaces are currently shutdown. Also, you can see the passwords (enable password, enable secret, vty, console passwords, and so on) either in encrypted or unencrypted format. The unencrypted passwords can be re-used, the encrypted ones will have to be changed with a new one.

Type configure terminal and make the changes.

The prompt is now hostname(config)#.

Type enable secret <password> to change the enable secret password, for example.
Issue the no shutdown command on every interface that is used. If you issue a show ip interface brief command, every interface that you want to use should be &quot;up up&quot;.
Type config-register 0x2102, or the value you recorded in step 2.
Press Ctrl-z or end to leave the configuration mode.

The prompt is now hostname#.

Type write memory or copy running-config startup-config to commit the changes.

Chris

LoneGamer

if you knew the boot sequence you'd know that's what my message does.....How, well having spent the last 9 years building the things may have something to do with it - at cisco, not from a ccna manual...

from the boot rom - rmonitor (you do this by hitting the ESC within 60 seconds of the reload)
O/R sets the config registers
.... get the idea....

l3stuff: I thought your procedure was simply too short and lacking detail. Not all of us are networkers, and as such we need to essentially hold their hands as they go through stuff. You're right, I don't build the routers, I'm only being trained to configure and troubleshoot them. I was trying to explain it in a more simple manner, And it's not ESC within 60 seconds, it's Control+Break!

i want to know how to make it ESC
signature-tektips.gif

I'm with inikis, I wanna know too . . . . p p p p p please.

FYI: l3stuff, I'd check the confreg first too :)

ok so it got changed in 12.2, let me work out the new sequence, should have time tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back