Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2600 router and Hyper Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMS

MIS
Sep 12, 2002
US
Greetings,

I have my Dell Latitude conneceted to my Cisco 2600 router via special cabling. It comes from Com1 on my laptop to the Console port on the back of the router. I start a new session in HyperTerminal and then power on the router. Then I get a a screen full of garbage. I need to get into ROMMON but I get garbage and symbols all over the screen. Is it my baud settings or what?.. Plz help.. Thx!

Cisco n00b!

Thats correct!!!
Settings are.

9600 baud rate
No parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit
No flow control

My settings are as follows

9600 baud rate
No parity
8 data bits
1 stop bit
No flow control

Still get the garbage when I boot up the router. It was kinda weird though. Yesterday I was able to get into ROMMON. Today I can't even get a boot up with characters I can understand. In need of assistance ASAP!!! Thx!

You might need to adjust the speed settings, sometimes people will change them. Just an idea...

Burke

Check or replace cable (rollover cable)
also try booting router first

I had say prob with my 2500's

Turn off the router, hold down the space bar, and then boot the router. I can't remember if this forces you into rommon directly or just forces the console speed to that of the terminal temporarily. Pretty sure this will solve your problem though.

Well I just dusted off a 1720 and tried my own advice. Either Cisco has closed this back door or I just don't remember the procedure correctly. Can't find it on CCO either. Anyone remember this little trick to foce console speed?

If you want to get to the rom mode or boot mode reboot the router and immediately hit the break key this will force a interrupt you will be at the > prompt I have a 2500 and used this procedure to reset my router.

Depending on the ver of hypterminal you have 3 choices:
Win 98
Break key
Ctrl-Break
Ctrl-F6-Break >ver 595160

for NT workstation
^$B = Shift6+Shift4+UpperB

this must be done within 60 sec of a power on

this will put you in romon mode ">"
type "?" for a list of commands
peform "O/R 0x2102" to reset to default settings
power cycle the router

perform a "T ? " will do a low level diag

hope this helps

If it's the speed that's wrong, I dont' think anything will successfully "break" into rommon will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back