Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2600 router & hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

glifex

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to console into our cisco 2600 series router.
It was never configured. I am using a managment cable ( Lite Blue RJ-45 to DB-9 Serial connector) I have the RJ-45 plugged directly into the Console port on the router & have the DB-9 connected to my serial port(only 1) on the laptop.
I open Hyperterminal I used the settings:
COM1
Bits per second: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: none
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: none
On the hyperterminal window it says I am connected. But nothing comes up.
I tried power cycling the router and still nothing. The lights are on. The activity light blinks.
I Tried connecting to a windows 98/2000/Xp machine.

Nothing comes up and I cant even type in the hyperterminal window. I just get a blinking cursor.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Will

Intermittently I've had this problem.

It's always been due to another com port being installed (virtual com ports mainly).

Do you have a modem or pda attached to this machine? $cd /pub
$more beer

Once you're connected, hit your ENTER key a couple of times ------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

Hi

You get this if the router console and Hyperterm speed don't match. The default in the router is 9600, but it may be that it is not set at default.
Remember that the config register is responsible for setting console speed. When you do get in check it is set at 0x2102

EB

Hi. Your setting are correct. If the laptop is a IBM, the problem is most likely to do with the COM port not having an IRQ available. What I would do first is try a different emulator. Experienced engineers rarely use Hyper Terminal. Something like secureCRT, which is available for free evalution is far superior. As I said about the IBM laptop though, it may still fail to work, if so, I recommend using another latop or workstation.

Normskin.

dear you may connect to com port2 try that one as well.

You might also want to make sure that another program like Hotsync for a Palm or something else is not connecting to COM1 and stealing all the data. With HotSync, you just need to turn off the serial connection while using hyperterminal or any communications software.

A good term emulator is QVTerm at Hyperterm does not do vt100 well, and can be a bear to configure because sometimes when you make a change to its configuration, it will ceash the serial port. QT has several different term emulators (vt100,vt52,vt2200), serial connection, ftp, telnet client, and ssh built in.

Ever notice how people get off-topic easily? :) Hyperterm is not the best but its commonplace and nonetheless it should work in your case (I use it every day to connect to cisco routers and switches with no problems). I suspect a cable or hardware failure. You say the device is unconfigured but it'd be worthwhile trying some other connect speeds other than 9600 incase somebody has changed it.

Good luck.

back to the issue...i'm trying to connect to a cisco 2500 via serial (com1) on a inspiron 8100. i've tried winxp hyperterminal, secure crt, and putty. they all say the same on the bottom of the screen, either connected or ready. yet, there's just a blank screen. i've set the baud rate to 9600, and data bits 8, parity none, stop bits 1, and flow control off. yet, i still can't get in. my modem is on com3, and there's no IRQ conflict with anything else. if anyone has solved this problem, i would greatly appriciate your help. thanks

This is actually a more common problem than one might think. Hyperterm sometimes just doesn't work right (especialy so with win2k and up), I suggest using TERA TERM. (it's still free like hyperterm)

Also, you may want to try connecting to the auxiluary port to see if you get any connection to test the cables.

And go through every speed setting possible, there is a chance it was set to a different speed.

thanks for your suggestion, but tera term didn't work either. i suspect it's not the software that i'm using, but perhaps an IRQ setting that's conflicting. YET, none of the IRQ's are conflicting...and whenever i try different com ports it says cannot connect or something. so i'm kind of at a loss as to what the problem is. got any more ideas?

did you try going through all the speeds one at a time?
seriously start at 110 (if the termianl you are using goes that low) and work your way up through every speed. 9 to 10 odds one of the speeds will work.

ya won't believe what the problem was...it was the DB9 connector. i went through three different ones before i got one that actually worked. usually if there's a problem with the network, majority of the time is either cable or hardware. well...this was one of those freakin times. anyway, so now it works. thanks for your help buddy.

Smacking self in head thinking (now why didn't I even think about the bloody DB9!!!)

I've run into that before too, so I should have thought about it as well.

THE CONNECTOR!! Damn CONNECTOR!! lol =]
FYI That was the exact same problem I had and resolved it the same exact way.

I think the best solution to this problem would be:

Try at least 5 different connectors before you bang your head.

Regards,
Will

On the subject, for those of you that are new to this (like me!), you may want to avoid the mistake I made of trying to use a RJ45 cable with two RJ45 (network) connectors from the router to the PC.

It doesn't work! You need a db9 connector to your pc's serial port... so it will not work if you connect it to your PC Network Interface Card and try to use Hyperterminal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back