Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco 2501(firm 12.xx) router & win2kserver...not passing ospf info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekno5ile

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
In my MCSA class, we are attempting to setup a forest, and in order to get enough separate subnets without redesigning the existing classroom infrastructure, we added some cisco 2501 routers to create a NAT environment for one subnet.

The win2kserver box has 5 nics, supporting 5 subnets with RIPv2. The cisco 2501 routers don't support RIPv2, so we decided to implement OSPF. Trouble is, when OSPF is set on the 2ks box, it doesn't see anything inside the 1 port that is connected to the subnet that the 2ks box's nic (1 of 5) is on.

I've turned on OSPF for all 2ks nics, set it to broadcast type, made sure the areas are the same (2ks default is 0.0.0.0; cisco we had at 0...i think it was changed to match, i wasn't doing the cisco side configs. 2 others who were in my cisco class worked on that). Yet, they refuse to communicate.

If I add a static route on the 2ks box, I can get to them. If they add static routes to all the other subnets, they can also get to said subnets. We've left it at a static route setup for the moment, for connectivity sake.

I was wondering if there were any thoughts or ideas on what maybe the issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

With that RIPv2 support on Cisco routers... have you tried commands:

2501(config)# router rip
2501(config-router)# version 2

This is how you make 2501 speak RIPv2, and unless you have some really old IOS, I mean really really old like 9.0, RIPv2 is supported accross all Cisco routers.

Also I haven't configured OSPF on Win2k, but OSPF communicates using multicast hello packets, address 224.0.0.5, yet you say you have turned on Win2k nics to broadcast mode. Can't be this the problem?

Peter Mesjar
CCNP, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

That's a sweet tip on the 2501, i'll give it a shot when i head into class again.

I left OSPF in it's default win2k state, which was set to broadcast. there were 2 other options, being some types of multicast. it's good to know that OSPF is multicast, cuz now i have more to look for.

thanks again for the tips

Sean

debug ip ospf events
debug ip ospf packets

make sure you are logging to the console

I don't know if you actually need each subnet to be populated. If not, you could set loopback interfaces in different subnets on the router.(this is also from a Cisco class. We set up as many as 6 to study routing tables.)
I would also recommend using the no auto-summary command:
router rip
version 2
no auto-summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back