Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2501, can't console in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyfo

ISP
Nov 10, 2003
US
I just got another cisco 2501 to finish up my CCNA lab, However, I can't console in to it. When you power on everything seems normal and the LED light comes on.

I have used hyperterm and Tera Term 3.1, I know its not the cables or the settings in either of these programs b.c my other cisco switches and routers work fine when you console in to them.

This is what i get when i try to console in...

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

You can press enter, send a CNTRL+BREAK (ALT+B) or whatever and you will just get the above characters...I have also tried the AUX port and you get the same stuff..

Any ideas or did i get taken on ebay (Again)

Thanks for any help
Jeremy

Ok, well i figured the problem out. The console and Aux ports are set to 1200-8-N-1-N now my question is how do i set the ports back to the standard 9600-8-N-1-N?

Also, I want to take all three of my 2501 routers in my lab up to max 16/16 memory and the latest IOS for the 2500 (12.2 i think will fit in 16MB) Question is what is the best way to do this? I know i can get the memory from E-Bay...How about the IOS images?

Thanks
Jeremy

You need to change console speed in your config register. See here for more info:

Pay attention to bits 11 & 12 - console speed.

To get IOS images, you would need a "partner" login to Cisco site or know somebody who has such login. "Partner" means you have a contract with Cisco.
Cisco.com has several other levels of access, but I'm not sure if other levels can get to IOS download area.

Good luck.

When you get into the router go into config mode and type in:

"config-register 0x2102"

When you do a sh ver it will tell you whatever the config-register currently is and then right after say something like:

"Will be 0x2102 after next reload."

Reload the router and your standard settings on hyperterm will work. 9600 8n1

HTH,
Nick

Thank you for the help, I was afraid that was the only way to get the newer IOS software. Is there any "student" version of IOS for non-production use? Do you think IOS 11.2 will be enough to pass the CCNA (640-801)?

Thanks
Jeremy

I think you will be OK for CCNA test with that. This test focuses more on general concepts. It does have some specific features of routing but it does not get into version difference. I am almost positive, that all the features the test has are available in version 11.

I've never heard of "student" version.

Good luck.

There are no student versions. You can however, give yoru flash to someone who has it and let them upgrade it, then move the RAM back into your router, (Not sure who's crazy enough to do that however)

As far as the capacity, you can get 12.3.5a if you really wanted, but the tests are based on 12.2

Good Luck

Ok, that is what i thought. Thanks for all the help. Maybe I can find someone selling 16mb of flash for the 2500 with the latest IOS on it on Ebay. If not I think i will be ok for atleast the CCNA with 11.2.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back