Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2500 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer02

MIS
Aug 13, 2005
US
I have these error messages after tryng to load the new OSI image to the router (version 11) Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

The router keeps rebooting by inself and would never get to the > promt unless I press Ctrl+Break...

=== Flushing messages (00:00:15 UTC Mon Mar 1 1993) ===

Buffered messages:
Queued messages:
*Mar 1 00:00:15.167: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHING: System pausing to ensure console d
ebugging output.

*Mar 1 00:00:15.163: %SYS-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to e
nsure console debugging output.

Exception: Illegal Instruction at 0x0 (PC)

System Bootstrap, Version 11.0(10c), SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1996 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 2048 Kbytes of main memory

SERVICE_MODULE(1): self test finished: Passed
%SERVICE_MODULE-4-ACCESSERROR: Unit 1 reports register access error - bad regist
er value supplied
F3: 9292624+602260+931204 at 0x3000060

I ran your error through Cisco. It came back with the following:

1. %SERVICE_MODULE-4-ACCESSERROR: Unit [chars] reports register access error - [chars]
The T1 module has supplied an invalid register address. This error might occur if a new version of the module is using an older Cisco IOS software image that does not support the module in use.

Recommended Action: Update the Cisco IOS software image on the system. If updating the software does not solve the problem, copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

Thanks for your help. The problem is that I can't upgrade the image since the router keeps rebooting by itself.

I did remove the T1 module but the router still keeps rebooting by itself. The problem here is that I can't perform an update for the router since the only command I sent to the router worked was "CTRL+BREAK" After I got to the prompt > there are several command i could run but none of them atucally help.

sounds as if you may have installed the wrong IOS, ie put an ios for another platform onto the router. as the router re-booting is a symptom that is usually associated with this.

when you do the ctrl+break there should be an option to restore the ios via the "X" terminal. this will take a fewe hours to transfer from your pc, but will restore the ios.

Thanks for your post again. Yes, I loaded the IOS for the router and the errors came up right after I loaded it. Here are the available commands available when I sent the "Ctrl+Break" command to the routers. I tried those commands but none of them seem to help.

>?
$ Toggle cache state
B [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
Load and execute system image from ROM or from TFTP server
C [address] Continue execution [optional address]
D /S M L V Deposit value V of size S into location L with modifier M
E /S M L Examine location L with size S with modifier M
G [address] Begin execution
H Help for commands
I Initialize
K Stack trace
L [filename] [TFTP Server IP address | TFTP Server Name]
Load system image from ROM or from TFTP server, but do not
begin execution
O Show configuration register option settings
P Set the break point
S Single step next instruction
T function Test device (? for help)

Deposit and Examine sizes may be B (byte), L (long) or S (short).
Modifiers may be R (register) or S (byte swap).
Register names are: D0-D7, A0-A6, SS, US, SR, and PC
>

how are you connected to the router from your pc?

if by consol cable, you will need to have the cisco tftp server running on your pc, locate were on the pc you have the correct ios image and make sure the tftp server is pointing to it in the setup.

then execute selection B.

I did that, but everytime I tried to do that the router would reboot and ran to the same processes again. I don't know what else I can do.

connect tothe router via hyper terminal and at startup do the break command to boot into rommon, from here you will need to do the transfer via "X" modem.

Can you please give me an instruction how to do this? Right now I connect through the consolse cable via hyper terminal and I can send Ctrl+Break command to start the rommon...please instruct me how to do this through xModem...Thanks.

Thanks again for your post. The only time I can boot to is to send the Ctrl+Break command then I can get to the > not something like rommon> or boot# I have seen from cisco website. So, basically I could not do anything even I tried to send file from the Hyperterminal using XModem option. What is the next steps after the router gets to the > promt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back