Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 2500 connectivity help for networking newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

chulogordito

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
Ok guys, I am a hardware person. Lately, I've been thrust into configuring and connecting LAN/WAN type crap.

I work in a state agency, a DOT to be exact. ALL of our routers, lines, etc are administered/purchased through another state agency (which makes NO sense to me). We, as systems administrators, are locked out of our own equipment.

Well, fast foward to today. After all of our complaining, our agency finally wired up 9 offices in the boon-dox with frac. T1's (yay! No more ras'ing in to a server 4 hours away with horrible connection rates! Right?)

At my office, when I am online, I can go to the Cisco works, and SEE that this router is on, as it is "green" on the availability dashboard.

So I came out here this morning, 2 hours from my office. I figured it would just be a matter of plugging a patch cable into my laptop and getting on. Right? Wrong. Our setup is DHCP, so normally I wouldn't have to have any static IP's. Also, since I normally don't mess with the routers etc...WHERE DO I PLUG MY FRIGGIN PATCH CABLE IN ON THIS THING ?!?!?!?

There's a CSU/DSU attached to the router, all the lights are green and signalling "ok"...the thing is...anywhere I plug my patch cable in, the LAN Cable indicator in the system tray on my laptop is still showing "unplugged"...it SHOULD at least change to 'connected'.

So my options are:
1.) On the CSU/DSU there is a plug that says "10BaseT"
2.) There is a "AUI" port on the router with a transceiver on it that has a RJ-45 port on it.
3.) "console" on the router
and
4.) "aux" on the router.

Where should I plug in to? I just want to try and find out so i can not end up wasting all day with a 2 hour one-way trip...

Thanks
J

J,
It depends on how the router was configured. It could be either the 10BaseT port of the RJ-45 on the AUI port. You will have to ask the people who have access to the router, which port is active on the router. Todd Hethmon
thethmon@hethmon.com

You use the RJ45 on the AUI adapter with a crossover cable. Which more then likely why you have no lights.. wrong cable.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

true you have to either connect it through the AUI device with a terminal adapter that has a rj45 port. Or disable it in the router and enable the rj45 port.

If you want to configure the router, why don't you try "console" port on router? You just need roll-over type of cable that connects from your computer's serial port to console port on router. Then just use Hyperterminal or any other terminal program to connect to router and set:
speed of connection to 9600bps
data bits to 8
parity to None
stop bits to 1
flow control to Hardware
One note: to connect roll-over cable to your serial port you need some kind of DB-15-to-RJ-45 adapter, that will allow UTP RJ-45 connection to your serial port (15pin male COM1/COM2). AUX port is used to configure the router through modem. Peter Mesjar
CCNA, A+ certified
pmesjar@centrum.sk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back