Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1841 Questions 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccnabegginer

Technical User
Feb 20, 2010
US
Hello
I picked up a used cisco 1841 on ebay seller stated it works great etc. and it does but when I opened it up to clean it out I noticed that it was missing a small battery such as a wrist watch battery, also the slot for the memory did not have any memory in there. The router works but I noticed that it has a small delay. Once I type out a command and press enter it takes about 1-2 seconds until I get a response from the router. Is that normal with these routers?

This is probably what the battery looks like that it's missing

Thanks

router#delete flash:c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-4.T.bin
router#squeeze flash:
router#copy tftp flash

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

ISPKing Thank you for clearing that out to me...

butrsbees Thank you for giving me the commands to do the upgrade.. The second command "squeeze flash:" did not work but when I typed in the third command and the rest it started to work. Thanks again

I was wondering about one thing though

from my 10MB cable modem I had a 75ft CAT5 cable going to my main router. I just noticed that it is a CAT5 cable not a CAT5e.. will this play any major diffrance with my ISP connection? All im using this for is to prepair for my CCNA one day this year lol

Thanks

No, Cat5e allows gigiabit speeds while cat 5 is limited to 100mbit. it will not cause any connection issues.

CCNP

I don't think Cat5E allows GB speed---I believe you need Cat6 to actually get GB speed...I did a comparison once, and the results were that Cat6 did allow faster throughput. I am not sure what white papers say, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Also---did you actually THANK someone? Okay---you may now come out of the dungeon.

/

Building dependency tree

Yes cat5e is certified for gigabit speeds. cat 5 is not.

The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the transmission performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications.

Figured I'd be nice today.

CCNP

what should i do?i configure my cisco 1841 router to dhcp mode..and its sdm express and sdm did not appear..does it really require interface card?

i would be glad to hear some help..thank you.

10 print "Start your own thread"
20 goto 10
Run <cr>

/

Building dependency tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back