Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CISCO 1841 INTEGRATED SERVICE MODULAR ROUTER questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,
I deal with the SME market and generally don't use any Cisco kit due to cost. I have one client who is growing and wants a more enterprise setup and cost is less of an issue. They are getting an new 10Mb ethernet internet connection (1:1 contention and 10Mb up and down). We require a new router for this and instead of using a cheap Zyxel/Netgear/Sonicwall router i was thinking of a Cisco 1841. They have 35 internal users, 30 remote users and are running a VPN, TS, Exchange server on the network.

I'm not a CCNA and i'm not keen on using a command line to program the router. Does this router have a GUI that a someone with basic router experience will understand? or am i better sticking to what i know?

Anyone used this router and got any comments on it, good or bad?

I'm keen to get a router that doe antivirus scanning on incoming traffic as it seems that most viruses that com in nowadays is through web traffic. How does this router handle this?

The company is also thinking of going to a hardware VPN solution using a router would this router be suitable for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

Hello
Yes!This router can use the Cisco "SDM" GUI software,I really do like this software.Nice graphic's easy to understand.In any case if you have configuration problems,just post and you will get help.
As for the VPN,if the client insist on a hardware VPN solution go for it.But the Cisco 1841 has a built-in VPN accelerator.For such few client's it would be wise to start off with the router for VPN.Then as need's grow invest in the Hardware VPN.
Best regards

I have a powerpoint about the cisco SDM that we use to get our techs comfortable with the routers. you can get it here.

The 1841 will handle the VPN users fine. IOS has a minimal IPS that will handle the virus bit. you can read about it here.
I always recommend separate devices for each role so the can be upgraded and configured individually. The wonderboxes put a lot of eggs in one basket. (and cash)
Shawn

We are using 2 1801 routers and overall have had very few problems with them. SDM can be very helpful but is not comprehensive, for example with VPN traffic you may want to alter the MTU on the outside interface which as far as I can tell cannot be done with SDM. Also when configuring any NAT rules to allow static port forwarding SDM creates a lot of config to route traffic destined for the VPN tunnel away from these rules. I configured VPN using SDM and then edited the config aftyer to clean it up as I am a novice with the CLI myself (amazing how quick things can stick though :) )

Steve

Thanks very much for the replys guys. Most helpful! I'm keen to start using Cisco kit and from what you've said I should be fine.

Wingatesl; gread ppt, thanks very much!

If anyone else has any input i'd be keen to hear.

Thanks again,

paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back