Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1721 Private WAN Config - no packets routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonProphet

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2003
US
What am I missing?
I have two Cisco 1721's over leased fractional T1 (v.35 from CSU/DSU interfaced to WIC-1T serials)
I'm using HDLC encapsulation over the line. Each interface has an IP with the serials on a separate subnet. I used Cisco Config Maker to configure and delilver the configuration to each router. Using RIP2 routing protocol.

The problem:
No packets are being routed over the WAN.
From each end of the WAN, I can ping Eth0, but not Ser0. I can telnet into one router and ping the Ser0 interface on the other! But I can't ping the Ser0 Interface from the Eth0 interface on the same router(?) I've tried both Dynamic and Static routing. If I have to guess, (and I do!) I'd say it has to be a routing table issue.

(Is there blood dripping from my ears?)

Obviously I'm missing something basic here. This is my first leased-line point to point router config.

Router2 (sh ip int brief)
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot
ocol
FastEthernet0 10.237.128.2 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0 10.237.1.4 YES NVRAM up up
FastEthernet0 10.237.0.2 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0 10.237.1.3 YES NVRAM up up

I cleared the counters on both serials.

Please explain the "Extended ping" prodedure - and from the serial to where?

Tracert from a client on LAN1 to another machine on LAN2? or to the Eth0 int on the other router?

Did I tell you guys how great you are?
philmcgarry
tschouten
jimmyzz
IPKONFIG

You guys are the BEST!

A tracert to an IP on the remote LAN (Router2) runs right out through our Internet connection to our ISP's DNS servers which of course say that the "Destination host unreachable" Hmmm...

NonProphet,

Here is an explaination on how to do an extended ping. On your router, usually you would enter: ping {ip address}. To do an extended ping, just type ping. The router will manually prompt you for ping options. Enter the destination IP when it asks and go through the options until it prompts for "Extended commands". Enter yes and it will give you "extended" ping options, like what source interface you want to initiate the ping from.

What you want to do first get onto your router 1 and see if you can ping from your R1 serial interface to your R2 serial interface. So do an extended ping from R1 to the destination IP address 10.237.1.4. The source should be your R1 serial interface (102.237.1.3). If it responds, then you can eliminate the WAN link as the problem and then look at why you are not routing between the networks.

not quite true jimmy, when you input the command ping 10.237.1.3 from the router, the router will use iots own interface on that subnet as the source.

When you do an extended ping, you can choose which interface to select as the source. You do this exactly how you said but use the ethernet interface as the source of the ping.

When you do this nonprohet, use the debug ip icmp command swicthed on on both routers. If the remote router you are pinging does not display any icmp messages, you can determine that no layer 3 information is traversing the link. At this time you must conact your wan supplier how can monitor the link when you are running some tests.

They should be able to tell you information about packets over the link.

If the link is point to point on a secure leased line, all packets have no where else to go, if the line is an ISP connection, they might not be routing the framess to the correct destination.

Hope this helps

Philmcgarry
ccie

Here are the ping results from Router1 Ethernet to Router2 Serial

Router1#ping
Protocol [ip]:
Target IP address: 10.237.1.4
Repeat count [5]:
Datagram size [100]:
Timeout in seconds [2]: 4
Extended commands [n]: y
Source address or interface: 10.237.0.2
Type of service [0]:
Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:
Validate reply data? [no]: y
Data pattern [0xABCD]:
Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]: all
% No such option - "all"Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]: v
Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[V]:
Sweep range of sizes [n]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.237.1.4, timeout is 4 seconds:
Packet sent with a source address of 10.237.0.2
Reply data will be validated
Reply to request 0 (8 ms)
Reply to request 1 (8 ms)
Reply to request 2 (8 ms)
Reply to request 3 (8 ms)
Reply to request 4 (8 ms)
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/8/8 ms

Just to clarify, this is a point to point secure leased line; T1- 12 channels data/12 voice.

IP ICMP debug from Router2:

Log Buffer (4096 bytes):

4w5d: ICMP: echo reply sent, src 10.237.1.4, dst 10.237.0.2

23:37:09: ICMP: echo reply rcvd, src 10.237.1.4, dst 10.237.0.2

Sorry, last post contains an error:
second set of data is from the log buffer from Router1 not Router2 !

problemn solved. Initiate a ping test from a client on the ethernet subnet to the other side ethernet subnet, assuing you have rip working, or static routes.

the reason pings where not traversing the link is the source address was invalid

sorry, noticed a mistake, you need to ping 10.237.128.2 from router 1, and use 10.237.0.2 as the source

Ummm, I can't get the debug to log extended (or otherwise) ping failures. It seems to log only successful pings.

Commands I'm using to do debug logging
R1#(config)[terminal] logging buffered 4096
R1# debug ip icmp
(Telnet into R2 exec same)
R1# ping (extended)
R1# sh log

All I get from the extended ping is "success rate 0/5". I've tried Verbose, Record, Strict, Loose....what am I not doing...where is the debug information to copy and paste?
More info please.

Thanks for your patience.

Does this mean anything?;

Router1#test interfaces serial0
... Failed - timeout problem
1 interfaces: 0 passed, 1 failed, 0 skipped, 0 untestable

u have a problem either with your serial interface or cable. Try a new cable, and/or a new interface.

Thanks for sticking with me. I'll check into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back