Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1720

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonedud

Technical User
Sep 29, 2004
US
Can some one help me with the information or where to get it to reset a 1720 passwords. I have one that was taken out of service before me and I would like to reconfig it, but do not have any passwords for it,also need to re set ip address.

If using hyperterminal
1)turn on router and immediately hit ctrl & break
2)you should be at rommon prompt. type confreg 0x2142
3)reboot router and let it boot up all the way (select no when it asks you to use interactive mode)
4)go to enable mode and type copy start run
5)you can now look at running config and see/change passwords to what you want
6)from conf mode type config-register 0x2102
7)when done config router to your liking, exit config mode and type wr

thanks for the information it worked well but I forgot to wr command and it is saying no flash. Did I do a no no?

wr = write to memory
If you didn't save the config to memory and you rebooted, it should boot up as if you never touched it. The old config would still be there. What exactly were your steps.

I found out that the other guy that was working with me on this project did copy running-config to start and at that time he was ask if you want to erase the flash and he said yes. So I guess we have more problem than before now.

If you are stuck in ROMMON, pretty easy to get out, provided you haev a copy of the ISO somewhere. Just TFTP it to the router. On the upside, no more problems with passwords, as the clean image will allow you to set up the router from scratch!!

When in ROMMON try:
Do the followings

Step 1:
Type

IP_ADDRESS={The IP address for the router}
IP_SUBNET_MASK={The subnet mask for the router}
DEFAULT_GATEWAY={The default gateway for the router}
TFTP_SERVER={The IP address of the server to fetch the image from}

Step 2:
After all above settings are correct, enter this command as well:

TFTP_FILE={The proper image FULL name}

Step 3:
Type tftpdnld {press ENTER}

That should get your image loaded and you should be ready to go!!

Scott

Can I get the IOS from another router? I do not have a tfpt server, we are new at this router thing have been around them for years but someone elas has been the programer, with down size We get to do it all now with the phone side. All help is appreciated.

TFTP can be downloaded for free of charge...do a google search for "solorwinds tftp". Matter of fact, think they were the first option when I Google'd just plain old tftp.
IOS can be downloded off an identical model Router. Cisco makes you pay to download them, or has been my experience thus far anyway. Still need a copy, let me know your email and we can chat forum.

can I run the tftp thur the console port?

No, unfortunately, TFTP is based on IP port 69 so it can't go over a serial connection like the console. However, you can load the IOS over the serial connection although it will be very slow. If you have to do this, first set the console baud rate to 115,200 or whatever is the fastest speed you have.

It's been awhile since I've done a serial upload of IOS but as I recall you just establish the connection in ROMMON mode and then choose Xmodem and send.

I troubleshoot circuit issues with client routers. Typically Cisco 1720's. I am curious if there are any useful commands to see specific errors incoming. I know that ARN routers have multiple commands to see CRC, BPV, etc... errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything that would help troubleshooting the serial interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back