Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1720 Password ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezle

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2002
US
Any ideas on why I would be receiving the following error when I attempt to remotely login (telnet) into a 1720 Access router; "Password required, but none set" - it then immediately brings me back to a command prompt.

I found a Cisco article that discusses this topic and it recommended doing a password recovery - which I have done but am still getting the same error.

Any insight anyone could provide is appreciated!

What you will have to do is access the router via console connection, or if you have a aux connection via modem that would work.

Once you gain access to the modem you need to get into priveliged exec mode by using the "enable" command. It will prompt you for a password to enter priveliged exec mode.

Once in priveliged exec mode you need to get to global config mode. You get there by using the "conf t" command.

Then you need to get to your telnet config settings. You get there by using "line vty 0 4" command.

Once in there you should be able to set the password for telnet. Use the command "password xxxx" where xxx is your telnet password. Then to exit you press Ctrl-Z and then use to command "write mem" to save the password. then you should be done.

It should look like this:

>
>enable
Password: yyyy (priveliged exec mode password)
#
#conf t
#(config) line vty 0 4
#(config-line) password xxxx (whatever password you want)
#(config-line) (press Crtl-Z)
#
#write mem
(prints some stuff here)
#

You should be done.... This is assuming you know the password to get into priveliged exec mode. If you don't then you will need to do a password recovery.

Burke

Thanks for the help - I don't have physical access to the router but I can certainly walk someone else who does through the steps in your post (which is very clear - and appreciated!). I'll give it whirl and post the results.

Rob

Great - your post worked perfectly! With one minor issue - when I attempted to set vty 0 4 and attempted to login remotely got the same error.

Ran sh conf which showed vty 0 3 and vty 4. So - I set the password for vty 0 3 and it fixed the problem. Can now login remotely and #sh conf - only shows vty 0 4.

Good, glad it worked. It should have set the password for vty 0 4 with the config options I posted above, but as long as it works now, oh well.

Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back