Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1720 Hyperterminal Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2004
US
I'm trying to get to command line interface on a Cisco 1720 thru hyperterminal on a WinXP PC. I've got a crossover cable connected into the Console port of the router and a serial adapter on the PC. My settings are Com1, 9600, 8, none, 1, and none. I'm using VT100 emulation. When I reboot the router I don't see anything in the terminal display. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

are you using a crossover cable or a rollover cable? the router uses a rollover.

you indeed need to use a rollover cable. If it still doesn't work try other com ports and other settings like the 9600, 8, none, 1, and none. The previous admin could have changed those setting.
Also I've had major issues with hyperterminal through XP, try something like teraterm (free to download)

Probably is your RJ45 to DB9 converter, where do you get it?
or try other baud rates. But still if you can connect, do you know the sistem passwords?. If you have the passwords, try making a telnet to the router? there you can see the config of the serial port.

Is COM1 the only option you have? PCI cards share IRQs, but are not always "share" friendly like they should be. Different PCI slots use different IRQs. I've had to move cards around before in order to get my serial ports to work properly.

BierHunter
CNE, MCSE, CCNP

had you try use Xon/Xoff in flow control setting??

Some times this works for HyperTerminal.

I tried another terminal emulation program and also tried xon/xoff but with the same results. I tried the same thing with a laptop, nothing again. I assume there is no hardware reset (factory restore) options with this router. I appreciate all the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back