Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1700 series router 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

imapc

MIS
Sep 12, 2007
US
All:
have accidently uploaded a bad config file to my router and when I boot it goes to rommon 1>.

I have tried password recovery, that won't work as the file that is in flash will not work. Is there any way that you can reset a 1700 series router to factory without using tftp, or password recovery.
thanks for any help.

You can use xmodem for disaster recovery, but it transfers at 9600 KBps---VERY slow! You can use TFTPDNLD from rommon...just type
rommon1>set
and set all the parameters for proper communication---I put the image right on top of C:\ in the computer. The parameters MUST be set in all CAPS! Exactly how you see it! Google tftpdnld for more info. When you have all the parameters set (it took me 5 times the first time! Hang in there!), then do this...
rommon5>tftpdnld
and follow the prompts.
If you don't have a tftp program, then use xmodem---HyperTerminal has to be set to transfer the file to the router (this is done via the console cable) via xmodem. The whole process could take a few hours---that is why I use tftpdnld. Let me know if you need a tftp program---you run that in the backround on the computer that has the IOS image on it.

Burt

Sorry---xmodem is 9600 bits per second (BAUDOT, actually), not kilobits.

Burt

Burt,
Thank you very much!! I tried everything and that worked for me. Unfortunately I was trying to load the wrong image at first but then figured it out. Good learning experience for me.

Cheers,
Bryan

Just do this and not xmodem, they take forever

Just an example....

IP_ADDRESS=172.16.70.40

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.0.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=172.16.1.1

TFTP_SERVER=172.16.70.11

TFTP_FILE=c1700-y-mz.123-22.bin

tftpdnld

Remember the above needs to be exact, the tftpdnld needs to be in lower cases.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back