Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1600 ISDN simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylchreest

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
GB
Is there any way to connect two 1600 routers via the BRI interfaces to simulate an ISDN connection (I'm in the UK).
Thanks for the help, sorry if it's a stupid question.

ISDN has two channels use router 1 to dial ISDN channel B and router 2 to dial ISDN channel A

Do you mean with just a cable between them, and if so would it be wired atraight through or rollover?

No,

Your ISDN box on the wall will have 2 RJ45 sockets, and your comms service provider will have assigned you 2 numbers to that isdn service.

ie: ISDN numbers xxxx-xxxx1 & xxxx-xxxx2

now,

configure 1600 router 'A' to dial 1600 router 'B' using your dialer map command on number xxxx-xxxx2 and configure 1600 route 'B' to dail 1600 route 'A' using xxxx-xxxx1.

This will use call charges but will allow you to test ip rules and DDR situations.

Hope this helps, post back if you need furher help :)

Thanks for the help, trouble is I haven't an actual ISDN line, I'm looking for a way to simulate one (like using a DCE/DTE back to back cable between two router serial ports.

There is a config simulator program that you can use, cant remember the name, search CISCO.com for it.

You will want an ISDN crossover cable. You can make one by crossing pin 1 to 5 and pin 2 to 4 from end to end.

1------/ /------5
2------/ /------4
x------/ /------x
4------/ /------2
5------/ /------1
x------/ /------x
x------/ /------x
x------/ /------x

Like so...

I would like to back to back my 1600's also. Did the cross cable work? I would think you needed a (ISDN)switch simulator??

Please advise if you have working soluton

Thanks

Ahh.. T1PSTN.. you gave a T1 back to back cable. There is not a ISDN back to back cable since it's just not simple cabling. There is a significant amount of digital signaling that goes on with an ISDN connection that a simple cable can not simulate. Hence the market for ISDN simulators.

Cisco Config maker is a tool that can *help* making a config for the ISDN circuit but it wont test it. Some of the router sim packages claim they sim ISDN but it's pretty limited.. again because of the huges number of variables involved. They sim only the basic configs.

The short answer is no, there is not a way to hook the routers back to back to sim an ISDN circuit without a 2nd box.

But.. you CAN simulate much of the command structure by connection two AUX ports back to back. This wont help much on the 1600s as they do not have AUX ports. A 2nd choice but not cheap is to use the serial WICs and hook them to modems and call each other via POTs lines.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

First; wybnormal -thanks for clearing that up!
2nd; Any one know were you can get cheap isdn simulators for back to backing ISDN interfaces????

Thanks

Sorry about the confusion that I caused. I'm linking my 2600s with ISDN PRI modules, not BRI. It works like a charm with T1 or ISDN PRI. Thanks for clearing that up wybnormal.

Yep.. PRI is a different beast the common BRI :) It's alot more funny playing with different channels and dialer interfaces for channel groups ;)

MikeS Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back