Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 1200 AP Signal Strength Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzilla20

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
US
I have a Cisco 350 card in a laptop connecting to a Cisco 1200 AP running a B radio.

For some reason, the SNR is VERY low. According to the site survey aironet product, the signal strength is low. No mind you, I am sitting right next to the AP when I get this reading. When I sit the AP directly ON the card..I get around 40-50, which is great, move it about a foot away..back to like 10.

Can anyone think of a reason for this? I switched channels even though it didnt look like an interference issue. I also did a sniff of the building, found the channels other APs ran on, used a non overlapping, and still..SNR is patheticly low.

I have the AP power at 100mW.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks much,

Ben

How did you switch channels and what did you use to sniff. It sounds like an interference problem but heck try to upgrade the firware on the 350 pcmia card and also the IOs on the Access point. Both of these are available at and are fairly new drivers and ios..Feb 04.

My guess is that the card took a knock, and the antenna connection is cracked.

I switched channels through the IOS.

I have Sniffer Wireless.

I thought it was partly interference, but keep in mind I dont have ANY antennas hanging off of the AP.

I will check on the IOS upgrade..I already upgraded the card with the new, I think it was March, drivers.

My next step is slapping some antennas on the AP and seeing if that improves the signal strength.

Ben

I thought it was partly interference, but keep in mind I dont have ANY antennas hanging off of the AP.

what do you mean by this , no wonder you are getting no signal . Also I have seen in Cisco aironet manuals that warn if you power these up with no antennas you can burn out the transmitter .

I thought there would be some sort of internal antenna.

I think if you leave the AP run for more than 20 minutes you do burn out the transmitter.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back