Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circuit Packs for T1-PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

telecomadmin12

Technical User
Apr 27, 2012
DE
What circuit packs are required for a T1-PRI?
We used to have T1 in the past and I still have TN767E and TN722B. Don't know if I can use them for a PRI.
I am thinking of replacing my 7 Verizon Pots lines and 3 DID trunks (TN753).
The pricing for the PRI is slightly more than for Verizon Pots, but I get more trunks. ALso vendors tell me that my current DID trunks won't be supported with newer phone systems anymore.
Other benefits or disadvantages with moving over to PRI in your opinion?

Avaya Definity, 8700 servers. CM 3.0.8.
System: G3xV13 Software Version: R013x.00.1.346.0

TN767's don't support PRI's in newer switches (what you have), TN464 would be the card to use, there are many different versions. Also check your switch to make sure you have "PRI" enabled, look on "disp sys cust", typically on page 4, "ISDN-PRI?" make sure its a "y"

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Thanks.
"ISDN-PRI?" is set to "y".
Would any version of TN464 do and also how many do I need for a single PRI?

Yes, any version will work. The older ones (TN464F) are not firmware upgradeable, the newer versions (TN464HP for example) are firmware upgradeable (the "P" after the pack designation). One PRI per card.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Thanks once more.
Do I need to get any hardware in addition to the circuit pack?
Such as CSU module, etc. or something else.

if you order the circuit pack you should definitely ask for the csu module that goes on the back of the card.

You can hardwire to pairs 21 & 22 (violet/orange and violet/green), and it will work.
However, for the LEDs on the front of the circuit pack to work, you would need a 120CSU module that plugs in the back, then it's just an RJ45 to plug into the circuit. I would recommend the 120A CSU, though I have done them without it in a pinch. It's always better to use a CSU, and if your PRI arrives on copper directly from the Telco, you should use one. If it arrives on a mux or fiber, you could survive without it, but the status LEDs won't work on the front of the circuit pack.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Good, so I will get a 120A CSU. I see there are different versions as well.
120A2 to 120A6. Which version to use?

Just stay away from 120A3 CSU's within the serial number range of 01DR09XXXXXXXX to 02DR04XXXXXXXX (mfg dates between Sep. 2001 and Apr. 2002). Those had a known defect which could blow out a fuse on the TN464 circuit packs. Any of the others should be fine.

True wmainc, I have replaced many of those 1A surface mount fuses myself :)

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I even got a TN722B. That is a DS1 tie trunk card, maybe exactly what I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back