Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circuit Pack Firmware Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

criling

Technical User
Feb 15, 2006
US
Hi,

I just installed 3 new circuit packs in my 8700; 2 TN2224CPs and 1 TN464GP. My question is, should I try to keep all of my cards at the same firmware release? Typically, my stance on firmware is something like "If it's not broke don't fix it". What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Chris

Avaya has told me that they will charge for any troubleshooting for any system that is not up to date, even if the problem will be fixed by a download.

That seems a little strange. In my experience with them (which has been fairly limited, I've only been working with this Avaya stuff for about a year) they've always helped me, but the firmware upgrades seem to be the first thing they suggest, regardless of the problem. All of my other circuit packs are on older releases as well...

Next question, I've also heard that installing the circuit packs yourself (if you don't hold an Avaya certification) may void your warranty; is this true? I haven't seen this anywhere, in the warranty policy it just says installation work must be performed by "qualified personel", although it doesn't define who that is. I haven't found any other info. than that. And I bought these from an Avaya Silver Business Partner, who made no mention of that. Any insight?

Thanks,
Chris

Warranty is only on the hardware itself. To avoid known problems Avaya always advise in first step to upgrade firmware to latest release. On the other hand, you dont want to ticket a problem when its just a firmware issue. In most of the cases you want a businesspartner to maintain and service your pbx. They have certified personell. I guess the opinion of avaya is that you need to know what you are doing. That reaches much further than only reading and following the installation and maintenance documentation.

But would they consider an install of 3 circuit packs by me a voiding of the warranty? I don't know if you've ever done this yourself, but it's not rocket science by any means, you only have to seat the cards in the slot, and they show up at part of the port network, there is no configuration required, and they are hot swappable. In my opinion, it's not something that anyone with some common sense shouldn't be able to accomplish; not sure why Avaya would be so upset with you as long as you don't damage anything. In the event that you do damage something, then I could understand the warranty not covering something that was damaged due to user error...

I have gotten the same advise from Avaya as orypecos. I call with a problem and the first thing Avaya says is to upgrade the firware. Then if that doesn't fix it then call us back. Becuase of this, everything that is a "new" install gets the latest and greatest firmware. But then once it is up and working, I only upgrade firware if there is something new that I need or to fix a problem. I usually never upgrade firmware, just to upgrade.

As far as only qualified personel installing equipment, that is a bunch of crap. Installing it your self in no way should void the warrenty.

Be careful when installing circuit packs, I know of one pack that got installed a little crooked that damaged the backplane ,and the entire cabinet had to be replaced. And Avaya, of course, didn't pay for it.

Yeah, that's true of anything like that... I come primarily from the data world; I know of a few individuals who have been in a world of hurt after bending some pins on the backplane of a core switch when thye've put a line card in crooked.

I upgraded the firmware on the 3 new cards, due to your advice... Thanks guys!

The main thing on the firmware, is not to jump out there on the inital release. Let it set for a little while before you download it. Most of the time if I dont have any problems with something, I leave it alone. If I get to the point where something is giving me troubles, then I look into 1. if it upgradable 2. how long the firmware has been released and on look at the "read me" files to see if it is a fix for my problem.

Mikey

Yeah, with anything firmware or OS related it's always a good idea not to jump on the first release right away; let someone else suffer the consequences... ;)

Thanks Guys!
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back