Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CIM v5.10 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB71

Technical User
Sep 12, 2001
GB
I have a Proliant 1600, Win2K Advanced Server client running the following agents:

Foundation agent: v5.10.0.0
Server agent: v5.10.0.0
NIC agent: v5.10.0.0
Storage agent: v5.10.1.0

I have CIM running on a Win2k Professional machine, I can contact the Win2k Adv Server and get the green `OK' icon in the GUI. My problem is this. When I connect to the server the only buttons I have available to me are `Mass Storage' `NIC' and `Utilization'. The rest are greyed out `Configuration' `Recovery' `System Board' `Expansion Boards'
The server is also recognised as an Industry Standard PC..and not a Proliant 1600
What am I missing here, what have I forgot to install or configure?. The community strings are the same on the Management console and the SNMP service on the client.

My NT4 Server clients are fine, all options inside Device Data are available to me.....strange! They seem to have the same services installed as the Win2k Server. I have updated the P08 BIOS on the Proliant to the latest version from Compaq's web site but this has done nothing.

Hope someone can help.

Matt

I think I've seen this before on a few of my 1600s. I seem to remember that it had something to do with the BIOS being so old (something from 1998) that the newer CIM Agents couldn't read data from the various subsystems properly.

As I understand it, the CIM Agents get their data from the BIOS using the System Management Controller Driver as a middleman. However, the latter may not have gotten updated when you installed the supportpaq because of the BIOS was old (I've seen it refuse to install because of the BIOS before...). The CIM Agents get hamstrung as sort of a downstream effect. Try this:

a) update the bios (p08, 11/08/2000)

b) reinstall the "Compaq Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2000" from the SupportPaq... [This is the one that might not have updated previously because of the BIOS age.]

c) reinstall the CIM Agents manually with the "force reinstall" switch (from the commandline using the /f switch)

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back