Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cicso spa112 Analogue adaptor (Fax) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy4uk

Programmer
Jan 28, 2005
GB
Hi All,

I have a customer with their Mitel MXe controller (MCD 7.0) located in their data centre, the client uses SIP trunks via Voiceflex for both incoming and outgoing calls.

We have configured a Cisco spa112 with an extension number from the main customers site to the data centre Mitel system, we can make and receive calls using an Analogue handset.

When we plug the Fax into this line we can send faxes, we can see from the trace that the call is being made but the other end doesn't seem to receive the fax.

The ATA unit has T.38 enabled, and I also know Voiceflex the SIP trunk provider also supports T.38

Is there any additional settings I need to look at?

Regards

Andy

check for compression - faxing doesnt like compression

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

We Always set the faxspeed on the fax at 9600 baud max.

setup a zone for paging in network zones as well and apply it to zone 1

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Do you have the MiVoice Business system licensed for T.38 fax? If not, it won't work. It also needs to be programmed to use T.38 (i.e. in the zone programming).

Try it and see if it works. My company will never allow customers to install T.38 faxing. It's never reliable. We always tell our customers to get a dedicated fax line (1F0 - analog line with no features) or use a PRI with one of the ONS ports. Generally speaking the fax quality is better off of ONS ports on a 3300 then they are on a ASU I or ASU II ONS port. We have found that in certain situations, especially with OpenText's RightFAX that their analog boards may not work on the ports of a ASU II, however when we connected the same analog card (on the back of the RightFAX server) to an ONS port on the Analog Main Board (AMB) or AOB (Option Board) the quality instantly went up.

I'm positive T.38 fax will work, however if you want something that will work error free - just install a dedicated fax line or use a PRI w/ONS port(s) on the 3300. That way you can install it and forget it.

I'm sure others will dispute me, however for our company (an authorizedPARTNER for Mitel) we always recommend this and it always works.

Thanks!

Once the machines are connected and , the GUI of the SPA112 should show exactly which codec is being used for TX/RX (Call 1/2 Encoder / Decoder). Which codec is it?

What's your order of preferred codecs, under Line 1 (or 2) Audio Configuration?

I've got a few SPA112's deployed, but they're hard coded to G711u. So far, no issues.

If I were to go with T38, the fax machine would have to support it by default and I would forego the analog conversion all together.

-b

What sort of WAN link do you have between the DC and SPA112? QoS enabled?

I'm pretty sure that the T38 license is only needed when going from IP to TDM (read PRI). Since your RTP packets are going between the SPA112 and the ITSP (probably via a firewall/router/gateway), T38 licenses on the MXe shouldn't be required.

-b

There are a cpuple of settings that needs to be done to allow T38 passthrough.(that is what you are doing.

@TheMitelGuy T38 licences are only needed if the Mitel does T38, for passthrough it only needs correct configuration.

Config:
By default Fax Service Profile is on 2 that should be fine. On the Network Zones assign the Fax setting to all zones that you use for your fax machines.
In the COS of the Fax machine you must have the FAX options in the COS set for Campon Tone Security to YES and Fax Capable to YES.
Try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back