Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Church Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollingMoose

Programmer
May 13, 2002
US
We're hoping somebody can point us in the right direction.........
A CAT5 line is installed in 3 rooms in our church. We have 2 PC's, one with WIN XP and one with WIN 98. We ran the WIN XP network wizard on the XP machine and took the floppy and ran it on the WIN 98 machine. Here's what we got.....
The XP machine can see files on the WIN 98 machine and use the WIN 98 machine's printer. The WIN 98 machine doesn't show the WIN XP machine on the network. Also, the WIN XP machine now attempts to connect to the internet whenever the WIN 98 machine is turned on.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated to us newbies. Thanks!

Well none of the questions have anything to do with ethernet, a windows forum may be more to the point.

My guess is that the XP box has it's defualt firewall running, also in XP look for a setting that says LM Announce and try it. But in the big picture somewhere they use windows would know more.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thank you for the quick reply. I took a shot that this forum might be closely related and have the most expertise on this issue. I'll give it a go in a Windows forum.

I've dealed with this problemm, too. I think the problem is caused by the winXP machine. On the WIN xp machine click set up a new connection and follow the steps. Make sure that the other computer is TURNED ON and it has the tcp/ip protocol installed. After finishing setting this up, the network should run properly. Good luck.

go to microsoft for the update drivers or any driver. win98 will never recognize XP w?o an update from the man "bill Gates"" or a clever hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back