Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Christmas wish list 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryreeve

Vendor
Jan 16, 2002
US
A couple of years ago we put together a nortel christmas wish list. I am revisiting it and consolidated the list from the results. Any comments?

A Nortel Christmas wish list

1. A CLID Delay before the call rings to let AA pull the CID information while in night service. The customer then doesn’t have to ignore the first ring to get the caller ID information. (this is a difficult thing to teach some customers, they are on the phone before the first ring finishes)
2. ATA devices that have Caller ID outputs, by that I mean you can hook up a standard analog Caller ID telephone to an ATA and see the originating ext or telephone number on the display or originating name. Caller ID outputs also include the FSK call waiting indicator embedded in them.
3. 73XX telephones that display two lines of incoming call data since the second line only has a transfer key on ringing outside call.
4. T-1 capability on the CICS, the CICS software has the channels reserved out for t-1 but cannot put in the card. this would be useful for networking smaller offices.
5. MICS & CICS INTERGRATION: why can you integrate an meridian w/ a mics but you can integrate a MICS w/ a CICS?.
6. Be able to use the RAD for backing up voicemail as well as the phone system,
7. Be able to print the configurations like a report.
8. I would also like to be able to print reports from NRU much like the old Norstar Manager had. Great for doing site audits remotely.
9. Also Phantom DNs - real ones! - not Answer DNs or Hunt Group DNs.
10. Separate inputs for Background music and MOH. I would like multiple MOH inputs, that way I can use it for marketing messages in Multi-tenant environments. i have a couple customers who'd like to have BGM in their headset instead of over the phone... Insurance agent, 10 agents in a room, all want the radio, supervisors and idle agents don’t want to hear the radio, nor do the agents on a call want the customer to hear the radio from a set beside her(or him)...
11. Bring back the M7310 sets in an updated shell to match the T-series sets. Call it the T7310.
12. Get rid of the T7406 (We got this wish last year see the DMS)
13. Allow pool code in the auto dial string (F*1)
14. More AUX Ringer Ports
15. Major reduction in size of KSU (Cards not modules), smaller hardware as in KSU, trunk, and station modules, it’s all air space
16. Allow more capabilities to the Hunt Group DN's. HUNT GROUP THAT QUEUES W/ MUSIC: Why queue a call w/ continuous ringing? That’s just stupid.
17. Lights in behind the LCD's on the sets.
18. Auto answer (set level)
19. Relay ports (instead of using C.O. port and extra module)
20. 2 more page ports (F621 calls port 1, F622 calls port 2 F623 port 3) saves need for Z module and amplifier for smaller business (use self amp horn each port), Maybe a module that can use a station port and be programmed onto a zone like a station is.
21. Another model of Door Phone (one with key pad)
22. Have wires come from bottom of Call Pilots
23. Backup of Call Pilot without shutdown.
24. More powerful v-mail system (able to change Meridian Mary's Prompts to your own, mini CCR tree from personal mailboxes and more)
25. A 911 alarm without having a PRI. When a user dials 911, an alarm goes out to the alarm set, "Ext 231" (or name of set) has dialed 911". I wish!!!!!!!
26. An I want the transfer to voice mail F986 to be able to use an autodial button,
27. An I want to have hospitality features like the M1 PMS system,
28. An I want a fast RAD with a NIC,
29. An I want a faster processor in the KSU,
30. An I want a dial by name 'look up directory' or scroll through directory for the speed dials,
31. An I want a one button to be able to combine internal autodial and voice call,
32. An I want paper manuals back,
33. I want a single remote access for both the KSU and voice mail.
34. a visual of the pri and d channels just like the option switch,
35. DISA THAT WORKS: its name promises remote service access but it is way too limited. Why cant you do a voice call through DISA? Why cant you pick up a parked call on DIAS? Why doesn’t the SMDR print the entire DISA COS code instead of ‘hiding’ the last 3 digits?
36. INSTALLED FORCED ACCOUNT CODE: being able to force the user to use an account code without having to install third party software.
37. INTEGRATED INTERNAL AUTODIAL: An internal autodial button that works on both station supervised transfer and voice mail transfer calls.
38. MORE THEN 4 TABLES ON A NAM: if you can have 999 mailboxes, why can’t you have more then 4 tables?
39. SIMPLIFIED CICS AUTO ANSWER: that CCR, auto answer, show greeting, user mode, system mode, greeting a thru f, bus open, business closed, password thing is a mess.
40. CALL PILOT W/ NO PASSWORD OPTION: a voice mail system w/ no password required for messages in hospitality installs.
41. PAPER MANUELS: enough said.
42. 5 rings before call forward
43. More than 4 ring patterns please, two of the present rings are so annoying that almost no one will use them unless forced.
44. Holiday schedule

We have gotten at least one wish from earlier lists, the 7406/companion wish seems to be completed with the Digital Mobility Solution.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

That's a pretty good list! Regarding #40, I thought you could turn the autologon feature on per mailbox to eliminate the need for a password?

I'd add one more thing to the list:

45. Ability to move a DN to a different port like the M1's. Set relocation is good but it doesn't cover all scenarios.

RE # 6.
Can't you set up a pseudo modem that NVM can use after you dial in through the RAD?

NARSBARS

eliminate the Target Line delays on the VOIP Gateway

how about multiple holiday greetings. If you have multiple companies on the same call pilot 100 and you put in a holiday greeting date it takes over for all greeting tables.

jerry, a great post. A star to you. You hit most of the items that need some improvement. I agree, the old Norstar Manager ran circles around the NRU when it comes to reports.
With NM 2.0, you could do a backup, then run reports against the backup file to get a complete audit on the system. Guess Bill Gate$ got in the way of progress.
How about adding item 45. Add the M series phones to DESKTOP ASSISTANT. There are still a lot of them out there.
Also be able to print labels for the IP phones (under handset) on BCM systems. Desktop assistant needs a lot of improvement, like printing several sets per sheet.

MarvO said it

I know this is going to sound stupid and does nothing to the workings but how about having black KSUs etc, the customer see's the new looking boxes and "knows" they are buying something different and special??
Or the KSU comes in 1 Box and you add cards to the box instead of modules then you don't have to write in big letters on the backboard "RESERVED FOR FUTURE TELEPHONE" only to have the alarm people stick their box there (barstids).

How about allowing MW indication for more than one Mbox on a phone.
ie, x221 can monitor mailboxes 233-241

I lost a pretty big job to somebody else because of this.:(

And how about buttons that light up in red and green like on West Wing. (Hollywood drives me nuts and I drive my wife nuts pointing it all out)

Why can't the MICS have an IRAD & IATA like the CICS?

CJG3 -- monitoring multiple VM's on a single set would be nice.

BTW, I think WestWing uses Cisco IP phones as their props. It's a 7970G IP Phone I believe :) Same goes for Las Vegas!

Great post. I thought I saw a M7310 on West Wing that had red AND green lights (my girlfreind wasn't impressed by my observation either). I wish for forced account code and PRI visuals. Number 23 has been resolved on CP 3.0...no call processing during backup, but reboot is automatic.

Ya the list was a couple of years old and when you are looking at that long it is kinda easy to slip a few, sorry people. Let me know others that have been resolved that I missed and in a couple weeks I'll revise the list.

BTW:West wing did have a red 7310 phone.
Since I started working with systems it has become routine, in fact kind of annoying, to automatically identify the telephone set and system that they have on different shows as well as stores, offices etc.
BTWagain: If you remember the show "Grace under fire" a few years ago, I noticed that this dirt poor family on welfare, food stamps etc. had a 1A2 key system for their home phones.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I want real WEB based access to the MICS, just like the CP150.

Also. lets do real DID so you can have a table translate the incomming DID digits directly to station numbers... just like the big PBX's do. Then elimainate target lines!

scottb8888

There is a thread here somewhere about using a terminal emulator to get web access to the RAD thru the web.

I am going to look it up and try it out.

NARSBARS

htowndave...

Are you sure about the 3.0 CP backup auto-reboot? If so, I'll be trying to get my hands on that software PDQ. We are afraid to do backups because of system failure on reboots. Thanks for the info!

A mind is like a parachute... it works best when it is open.

Thanks NarsBars... but I mean real IP access... eg. etehernet connection to MICS just like the Pilot

the new bcm 4.0 CP has 99 tables ...
maybe this will creep into the Norstar CP as well - EVENTUALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back