Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chown -R... saying it's changed, but isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulReed

Technical User
Jun 15, 2008
US
I have a software that is running on a Linux server and there was a glitch in the install script and I was told to change ownership on this subdirectory from root to "apache"... and for some reason it says it's changed on the subdirectory and everything below it, but as you can see below what I'm getting in an error log.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 16 23:34 ttc

# chown -R apache:apache ttc

drwxr-xr-x 3 apache apache 4096 Jul 16 23:34 ttc

chown: changing ownership of `/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib/templates/members/login.html.tt2c': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib/templates/members/neworder-mail.tt2c': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib/templates/members/newclient-mail.tt2c': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib/templates/members/activation-mail.tt2c': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of `/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib/templates/members/homeshell.html.tt2c': Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of
`/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib/templates/members/header.html.tt2c': Operation not permitted

Mark,

I am going to comment out #30 * * * * cd /home/fum/lib && ./gen_webstats.sh > /dev/null
right now.

Do you feel this could cause the problem I'm having in the browser?

"As far as the proxy error, if this app is on the same network as the client, change the client to bypass the proxy for that server."

I don't understand this... but when I had it on another server everything was fine.

"Was this app moved, Should it be at /home/fum/ttc rather than /home/fum/ttc/home/fum/ttc?"

Do you mean rather than /home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib ?

When I installed the main application it never installed webstats, and to answer your question I'm not sure where it should be, but I don't care about having webstats.

The Main application is Email software.

Thanks

Since you commented that line out, has it happened again? I think that since that program was running as root, if it changed the permissions on the files, it would have caused the initial error.

Everything was fine on another server. Did the client machine, server IP, or DNS name change? If any of those changed, the client may think its an outside app and try to go through the proxy to get there. More likely, the client sends the request through the proxy and the proxy is getting a timeout from the server and relaying that back to the client.

Yes, I typed the location wrong (/home/fum/ttc/home/fum/lib). When I look at your `ls -l` earlier, it looks like the app may be installed in two different places. home/fum/ and /home/fum/ttc/. Apache thinks it needs to use the /home/fum/ttc/, but the conf, lib, and log folders in /home/fum/ are owned by user=fum.

Maybe a better fix for this would be to remove the app and install it in a neutral location like /opt/fum/ if the drive space is allotted there (you'll need to change apache's ServerRoot and DocumentRoot directives - what are they now?).

Can you post the results of `df -k`? That will show how your filesystems are mounted and how much disk each one has.

Sorry this is taking so long, it's usually much easier to fix the problem when we can see the server.

Mark

Thanks for responding Mark...

root@domain ~# df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 74802688 12047096 58955820 17% /
/dev/sda1 101089 15055 80815 16% /boot
none 1026024 0 1026024 0% /dev/shm

See the following thread, I think this is my problem...

That could very well be, but it seems odd that it works sometimes. If the module were not loaded properly, it shouldn't work at all. What distribution of Linux are you on?

The df command shows that no matter where you put the app, it will use the same disk space (except /boot). What is the name of the app? If it's FOSS, I'll install it and see if I run into trouble.

How do you stop and start apache? I'm wondering about the "restart_apaches" link. I always use `/etc/init.d/apache2 restart`.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back