Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chop a circle in half 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzn

MIS
Jan 28, 2005
GB
Hi I have used the ellipse tool to create a circle. I now want to chop it in half ... similar to way you would with fireworks ... but i have no idea ... I have spent 2 nights trying to sort this out and Im still getting no where. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

If it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect you can subtract half using the rectangle marquee tool

First I would show the grid
View > Show > Grid

Using the Elliptical Marquee tool create your circle.
While holding down the shift key Draw out your circle starting at any intersecting of a horizontal and vertical grid line.
use the fill tool to fill in the color of your choice.

Next using the rectangular marquee tool "select" the circle in half and hit the delete key.

A semicircle should remain.

Since I'm not exactly sure what your end product should be, another method using the pen tool can be seen here

Let me know if this helps or not

sam

You could also use the eraser tool to cut it in half. How did you go about it in fireworks? Have you checked out tutorials on adobe.com? They probably have other ways to go about it.

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer
ICP DAS USA, Inc.

Fire works is easy ... just create a circle and then use the knife tool and cut it half..... photoshop seems very hard. Im just struggling with it. Thanks very much both of you for your help.

When you talk of the eraser tool ... can it be used like the knife tool in fireworks?

hi kzn...

...the eraser tool only functions on rasterized layers, as the ellipse tool is a vector object you need to use the path tools to achieve what you require...

...here i set up a 110mm x 110mm doc to show (in PShop CS3), then create a 100mm x 100mm ellipse path, (quicktime player required):

Andrew

...to add..

...once this has been created you can then load the shape as a selection if you require a mask or marquee selection...

...just click with the 'apple/command' on that shape icon...

...or press 'apple/command + return' to load it as a selection...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back