Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing the Boot Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genimuse

Programmer
May 15, 2003
US
I've got a system that recently crashed, with a hard drive on IDE 0, a PATA drive.

I've replaced it with a SATA drive which puts it on IDE 2, which is fine, but I still want to access data off the other drive. If I boot with both attached it insists on booting from the drive on IDE 0 (which bsods because it's bad).

Is there some way to tell the system to boot off of IDE 2? Nothing in the BIOS allows me to say which hard disk to boot from, and no options appear on startup.

The system won't recognize the PATA drive on IDE 0 if I attach it after boot.

Thanks in advance for any help with what is likely a dumb question. Neither googling nor searching here seem to work, though maybe I'm googling the wrong thing.

Probably need to go into bios and change your boot drive/order so it knows to boot the sata and not the pata. Almost always by default the bios is set to boot the ide0.

RoadKi11

Unfortunately the bios only allows me to specify "hard disk," not which one.

Someone suggested putting the PATA drive in an external USB enclosure, which I happened to have, and it worked great.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back