Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choosing Backup Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

butkus

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
Who likes what in Netware 6?

I currently run NW5.1 with Arcserve 6.6

I know 6.6 won't run on NW6 - so I'll need something new when I upgrade to the latest version. Any recommendation?

FYI - I currrently use a Dell PowerVault 120T DLT1 Autoloader (7 slot) (I think its a re-branded Quantum device - so whatever is selected needs to work with it)
James

Network Administrator

Hi,

I am using the Legato NetWorker to backup my NetWare 5 and 6 Servers.
As a Backup Server we are using WindowsNT but you can put the Backupserver also on NetWare 6.
The NetWorker is expensive so it depends on the datasize you want to backup.

Stefan Bartels

I have been using Veritas BackupExec on all of my NetWare 6 servers, and I've been very pleased with the performance and the new GUI Management Console.

-Mike Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

I am in the same situation. I used BackupExec on NT years ago and didn't like it. I'm going back to it for our new server because it make use of the groupwise target service agent.

ArcserveIT doesn't use the GWTSA, you have to buy the open files module.

Backup Exec 9.0 doesn't backup open files on NSS volumes until version 9.1 comes out.

With Legato you got the option (comes factory default with) of a open file connection. You need one more licence (see Legato licensing modell for detailes) for the option and it works very good.

Stefan Bartels [pc2]

Whatever you choose stay away from Arcserve7. We've used it for years with Netware4 and 5 with limited success. We're now up under netware 6 and Arcserve is barely working (i.e. works once every third job). We're in the process of purchasing Backup Exec. is it better? At this point to us anything would be better. Arcserve's motto? No ryhmne, No reason!

butkus -

We are using ArcServe7 (or BrightStor) for Netware. Tons of issues. Patch after patch, they even had pre-patches. ((What the heck is a pre-patch?!))

Pros:
New GUI - same options. If you've worked with v6 or other versions of ArcServe you'll be able to navigate pretty easily. Support. You get 5 (I think total) incidents for free. Backs up the NDS Tree.

Cons:
Rewrites many .ncf files and other config files. Innoculan still hogs tons of CPU and has to be unloaded to avoid the 50/50 chance of abends. The client has to run on at least a Win2K machine. AND, that machine has to be "Shared" on the network -- I did not like that one bit -- due to services that are running.

One interesting thing to point out: I had to call in for some detailed technical guidance. The technician was in India! Now, nothing against anyone/anywhere, but I couldn't understand him for the life of me. I'm not sure if all their tech support has been "contracted" to India or not, but it sure would have helped if he would have known English!

Personal opinion of course, but when your at your wits-end, the last thing you want is someone NOT understanding you, and you NOT being able to understanding them.

What backup software would recognise Netware 6 running Cluster Services ?

We have been successfully using BackupExec 8.5 on Netware 5.1 until yesterday when we upgraded to Netware 6. Now BackupExec doesn't see any of the drives and the scheduled backups don't work.

Does this mean we need to upgrade BackupExec or is something else going on?

Thanks for any ideas!

jg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back