Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choice of raid controller for PL6500

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulienDogg

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hi,

I need to upgrade the raid controller in my proliant 6500 to support U160/ultra3 speeds. I currently have the choice between the SA5302 64MB ultra3 or IBM ServeRaid 4MX U160. The controller needs to run under Red Hat. The 5302 is certified for RH while the IBM is compatible (limited support). Which would you choose and why ?

J.

First question: is either of these devices PCI compatible with the PL6500? The SA5302 has a 64-bit 66MHz PCI connection: in the PL6400 you will lose significant bandwidth negating any advantages of moving to U3/U160 disk access.

In fact, I'd choose neither because I don't see any performance advantage of sticking an SA5302 or U160 disks into a PL6400. It just doesn't make sense.

Regards: tf1

I do not follow. The server is a PL6500 not 6400. The server has 4 64bit 66MHZ pci slots. Where am i losing that bandwidth? I could understand your point if i was using a server that had only 32bit 33mhz pci slots but that is not the case. I allready have 7 18.2GB 15K RPM U160 drives installed but they are running on the SA3200 controller, while this is a 66mhz card it's only ultra2. That's why i need the upgrade. I'm afraid i just don't understand your post or you didn't understand my question, one or the other. Where did you get the idea i was using a PL6400 server? I'm not familiar with that server but from what you're saying i gather the 6400 has only 32bit 33mhz PCI slots? At any case, that is completely irrelevant to my current situation with my proliant 6500.

J.

The IBM card is pretty much compatible with any system with it's intel chipset. The SA5302 is known to work in my server, wich by the way is a proliant 6500 not a 6400. I'm not sure where you got the model number 6400 while relating to my above post. Now, how exactly am i going to be losing bandwidth? My server is equipped with 4 64bit/66mhz PCI slots. It currently uses a 64bit/66mhz controller but it is only ultra2 while the drives i purchased to replace the 4.3's are 18.2GB 15K rpm U160's. I'm afraid i don't quite understand your post, or how it relates to my current delima.

Hmm. sorry about the double post, it didn't seem to post the first one, gave me some sort of error, and then after i'd typed out and posted a second time the first one showed up. Hmmph. Anyhoo, some folks might not know, my 6500 is a later revision that supports 64bit 66mhz PCI and 100fsb as opposed to the earlier version wich only had 32bit pci slots and a 66mhz FSB.

J.

Maybe I have confused servers, if so, I apologise for my recommendation. Is that what you have?

Yes, my server is the last revision of the proliant 6500. It has 4 available (5 total) 64bit/66mhz pci slots. I should be able to utilize a 64bit 66mhz ultra3 raid controller with no problems. I have talked to people who run the SA5302 in this server with no issues. I was just curious if the IBM ServeRaid 4MX was a better controller. The SA5302 has an adaptec chipset i'm told, while the IBM uses an intel chipset.

Thanks!!

J.

J

An SA5302 will be excellent for your needs, especially if you can get one of the later models with 128MB cache (or even a 5304 with 256MB cache). They will also support new U320 drives - obviously only at U160 performance. If you are thinking of getting more drives, Compaq (HP) has just dropped both 18GB drives and the 36GB is only available in the 15Krpm version (now their entry level disk)!

Performance-wise, there's probably little between the IBM and Compaq controllers: personally I would go for the SA5302 because it is definitely compatible with the server and supported by Compaq.

Thanks man! That was the controller i had pretty much decided on. I thought it would have the easiest install and the fact that it's red had certified is a definate plus. I had been told the the 4MX would be considerably faster because of the chipset it uses. I didn't know if this would be the case or not. Unfortunately for me, the SA5302 that i have is a 2 channel 64MB cache card. There is an upgrade module to make it a 4 channel 128MB card but it is quite expensive. At least i have the option if i decide i need the extra cache.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back