Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choice of Parameters depending on the previous parameter entry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thiagarr

Technical User
Oct 20, 2006
US
Hi,

I use CR 9.2 and Oracle 9i.

I use a SPORC for the report. The SP sends back data for 2 different kinds of reports produced from one CR report file. The formats and contents of the reports are very similar and hence we try and use the same SPORC and report. But there are unique parameters used by individual reports.

For example, there are a total of 5 parameters in the SPORC - parm_name, parm_status, parm_month, parm_year and parm_date. Also, we have created a parameter to distinguish which report we want to run - parm_report_type. Report_A uses Parm_name and parm_status and the other three parameters are used by report_B.

At this stage, we are not looking at using a record selection formula in CR (to ensure that the bulk of work is done at the DB end and also to limit the amount of data being brought back from the DB and then filtering it in the report), but if necessary we can use that option.

My query here is as follows:

When I enter the parameters in CR, is it possible to have the parm_report_type as the first entry and then depending on the input (from default non-editable values) selected, the other parameter values to be entered and passed on to the SPORC? If necessary they can be passed to the SPORC as null values. This way the user need not enter unwanted parameter values.

Any help / guidelines would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

TR

You can set up record selection like:

(
(
{?Reporttype} = "Report A" and
{table.field1} = {?Parm1} and
{table.field2} = {?Parm2}
) or
(
{?Reporttype} = "Report B" and
{table.field3} = {?Parm3} and
{table.field4} = {?Parm4}
)
)

...but (I don't have 9.0) I think you would still have to enter values for all parms, even though ignored for record selection. You can use the prompt text to instruct users that "if {?Reporttype} = "Report B" then select (from {table.field3}) else select 'None'" (a value you have entered into the default list).

-LB

LB,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. This looks like a very good suggestion and I will work on this tomorrow.

:)

Thanks and regards,

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back