Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Choice of installing different program in a setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtqui

Programmer
Sep 25, 2000
SG
Hi,

Currently I have 3 CDs installing different programs, but my boss wants to merge the 3 CDs into a DVD.

That means I need to find a way to have a single setup program that provides options for users to choose which program they want to install. But I also need to reflect the selected program name in "Add/Remove Program" etc instead of the setup program name.

E.g. setup.exe program name called "AllMyPrograms", I select "ProgA" to install, so I should only see "ProgA" name in my pc and not "AllMyPrograms". The setup just needs to run on Windows platform.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Doris

Personally, I'd put each of the existing installations on the DVD in their own subdirs then write a VB app to let you choose which one to install.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Personally, I'd put each of the existing installations on the DVD in their own subdirs then write a VB app to let you choose which one to install.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

I was thinking of doing that too, but it struck me that one of the reason I have to provide setup files is for VB to register it's own components (the 3 programs are written in VB).

Therefore without installing the essential VB files (MSVBVM60.DLL etc), I can't even run the interface for the users to choose which program to install.

If you think this is a concern, then you could look at something more self contained like NSIS or Inno installers. Both are free.

Thanks, TomThumbKP.

I've downloaded Inno and giving it a try. I've also emailed InstallShield to see whether they have anything that can solve my problem.

Just as one more possibility, you could create an MSI with a component for each of the possible programs then have the appropriate component install the corresponding program. The MSI would handle presenting the choices to the end user for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back