Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chinese Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulters

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
US
I have several workstations that have a profile with three little boxes. From searching on other sites, I understand this to be in chinese and it means "talks while asleep" or something like that. I can delete it, but it comes back when logging back in. Other people have this problem, but no one can explain why. Some said they got it after installing SMS Feature Pack, but I have not done that. Anyone know how to get rid of it and what's causing it?

Coulters,

There are a couple things that could cause this,

One would be you have a spyware/trojan program running. Try installing and running AdAware 6 and see what it finds.

You can get it at for free.
The name sounds like something mabe sending out information?

Regardless what the program is, you can most likely stop it from running on a reboot, by editing the registry

From start/run run regedit

follow the path of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run

in here you should find a string value that makes a call to your problem program.

Simply highlight the offender, and hit delete.

good luck

FYI. I tried the adaware and checking the registry and there was nothing there. We use Compaq support, so I opened a case. If they can't solve it, they will escalate it to Microsoft. When I hear what this is and how to get rid of it, I'll post it.

I just got off the phone with HP and Microsoft. We have found the reason for this profile. When the SMS Hardware Inventory Agent service starts, it uses the SMS_def.mof file. Withing the .mof file, the registry provider uses WMI 1.5 and this creates the profile. They said this is a bug and there is a fix. Here is the white paper on this issue.

Microsoft didn't even know someone had translated it into Chinese.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back