Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Child records not 'appearing' in grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakotafox

Programmer
Apr 14, 2000
US
Here is my problem:

What I am trying to do is create a grid containing the many side of a one to many relationship. The one-to-many relationship is defined in the data environment. The grid properties that I have set are the child order (set to the index of the child table), column count (set to 3 since I want to display 3 columns), Linkmaster (set to the alias of the parent table), record source (set to the alias of the child table), and RelationalExpr (set to the field of the parent table that relates to the index of the child table). The form contains fields from the parent table and the grid containing the child table fields. When I run the form, and the fields from the parent table are populated with a record that has related child records, the child records only appear in the grid when I move the cursor over the parent fields, otherwise, the grid appears empty.

Thanks again for all the help!

It is likely that you are selecting some table other than the parent table when the grid is gtting focus. Ensure that the initialy selected alias is the parent table and dont change the current alias in any of the methods. You may be selecting some other alias else where and leave it at that.

Hope this helps you. :)
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

It seem your recordsource is not map correctly to the alias that you want.
If you have free time you should try to select some fields that you want to put in grid and hold on the right click mo to the form and select grid control when it appear, from chield table.
Do like this to with the parent table, but if you want to view as multi control please do it.
By this way your control is point to correct recordset.

If it does not solve, please make sure your key on the table that you use to make relationship is work correctly.
The RelationalExpr may course this problem too.

May sound a bit thick but could you set it up using the wizard to get an idea of how that would link it?

Why do you want to use the wizard?

sometimes, wizard help us much but it can't work under what we want.
You won't create new form but u should delete all old controls, except command boutton, dug and drop it again from data environtment.

If you try to keep the old control that has recordsource map to alias; it may cause conflic in data environtment.
I want to mean that the data is not under what we want.

In Data Environtment you should make sure all alias has been link together using relationship.

Reply me soon

I was just suggesting it as a way to see what had to be done to what and where.

I forget things and miss things out and that is what I did and still do if I have problems with grids to help me get back on track.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back