Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

child domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

wontolla

Technical User
May 28, 2001
MX
Well, A week ago I installed the first w2k server in my LAN, (new tree, new forest...)I folowed all the steps and I think is working properly.

But I need to install more servers, I want to create new child domains.

When I try to install AD y choose "Domain controller for a new domain", and then "Create a new child domain in an existing domain", I enter the login, password and domain, then the principal domain and the child domain. An error message appears, It says that couldn't find the domain, and maybe the name is not registered in the DNS.

I don´t know what else I have to do in the DNS of my principal server or the child one. The first time I installed AD (in the principal) it ask me to configure DNS, I only said, "yes" and put the password to repair the AD.

Do I have to do something else???
ping works, network protocols are TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX/SPX
my books doesn´t talk about more than one domain controller

can you help me pleace???!!!!
thanks!!
(sorry if my english is not very good)

I had a problem like yours, what I had to do was set up a forward lookup zone in DNS on the parent domain and add a new host (Child Domain controler name and IP address). Then on the domain controler in the child domain I had to set the DNS in TCP/IP properties to the IP address of the Parent domin controler.

I hope this helps

Thanks Skine, but it didn´t work
I have 3 forward lookup zones, one with a period, other with the name of the parent domain and the last one with the child domain, inside of the child domain's zone I created a the host with the name and IP address of my child domain's DC. The parent domain's server is the first DNS server in the child domain's server

Is it right???
Do I have to do something with the dinamic actualizations??

thanks for your help!!!

Ok I have a problem. In class when I try to log on as my server name it works. But when I try to log on as the instructor I get an error message that states something about local policys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back