Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Child Domain Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvee

Programmer
Aug 1, 2000
US
I am not an Exchange Admin, although I can get around Active Directory and Exchange, set up a new user, etc.

I am only familiar with a single domain, so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

We decided to add a child domain so that we can "release" a group of users and their server(s) in the future if need be.

I created the child domain and created a new user. The new user had a mailbox store automatically created just like every new user does.

I can log on as the new user. When I try to connect to the mail store via Outlook 2003, it says it doesn't exist.

I hope I am missing something simple.

Any advice for a amature is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Megan

where is ur exchange server is located in child domain or parent domain???

Currently, the exchange server is in the parent domain. Eventually (soon), there will be an exchange server in the child domain as well. Do I need to have an Exchange server in the child domain to get email working properly? Or if it just makes things simpler, I can do that.

Thanks, Megan

I have this same question.....did anyone ever answer it??

no, sorry.
because of time constraints, we ended up leaving the email on the parent domain...

ok i'm not a exchnage guru either but i'm guessing

yes the child domain would need to be domain prep'd for exchange
after that i'm guessing that the user could exist in the child ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back