Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking the Windows Registry for installed Crystal Reports Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredHelm

Programmer
Sep 17, 2001
CA
I'm trying to determine which version and edition of Crystal Reports is installed on the client machine by scanning the registry. I have found a key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Seagate Software\Crystal Reports\Version but for upgrades it contains the version of the last full version and not the installed version. Also I'm not sure which registry keys to look for to determine the different editions. In particular, I'm looking for the developer edition.

Ultimately, I'm trying to get Installshield to detect Crystal Reports and take appropriate action. Also, does someone know all the Crystal Reports Version numbers? So far I've found the following:
CR 7 - 7.0.0.0 Edition - ?
CR 8 - 8.0.0.371 Edition - ?
CR 8.5 - 8.5.0.2176 Edition - ?
CR 9 - ? Edition - ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Fred

Given your version range, you will need to look in multiple reg locations, nothing really clear cut either. I suspect their Editioning is keycode based rather than a reg key value anyway.

Might be easier to do a drive search for crw32.exe and get the installed version info this way.

Why is Developer a key criteria?
Why is the build number a key criteria?

The above sounds like a lot of work.

Might be just as effective to test for runtime.hlp or runtime.chm since these only ship with Developer if Developer existence is absolutely necessary.

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

I was planning on having InstallShield detect the appropriate version. The reason that the edition is important is because my program uses the RDC which is only available in the Developer and Advance editions.

Can installshield search for the file that you mentioned?

Installshield should be able to do a file exists type search on the machine. Since your app relies on the RDC, I would change the search to craxdrt.dll

Usually you can set the file you want to check for (App Search?) and even the depth (how many folders deep) on the drive you want to search.

crw32.exe is for the designer itself and may not be of much use in this case.

HTH

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back