Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking Quark serial number? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan19

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
Is there anyway to double-check Quark's serial number (4.1 on OS9) *after* you've installed it?

m19

No, it doesn't. (I'm not stupid, that's the first place I looked... Geez.) I have the box in my hand and apart from three manuals and the CD, the serial number's not in it. From what it sounds like there's supposed to be a card packaged with the box, but it looks like it's gotten lost at some point because it isn't in there.

If anyone can actually answer my question, I'd appreciate it.

m19

Wow, You made me get off my butt and have a look...

On all of my 10 boxes of Quark 4.1 on the bottom of the box there was a barcode. On the Barcode it says Serial Number etc etc.

I just had another look, It's on the bottom of the box, open that and it on the box inside that, open that and it's on the box which holds the disks, that's three places.

Hope this helps

Marcus

On my box, it says NOTHING about a serial number. Right under the barcode itself is a number starting with XU which didn't look like a proper Quark serial number to me (seemed to short). Is that *actually* the serial number?

Why would the number be plastered so prominently on the outside of the box, anyway? Then anyone walking by in the store would be able to pick it up and write it down.

m19

Yes, That's it, try it and find out...

What's the difference between having the number on the outside of the box or the inside, they would still have to steal the entire box to be able to use it.

Haven't you ever typed in the wrong number and have program say that the serial number you typed is incorrect?

Let me now how you go? [thumbsup2]

Marcus

How would I have to steal a box? Pick it up, turn it over, there's the number... (Unless the brown cardboardy box came packaged inside another box [I can't remember if i did], which seems like a waste.

Anyway...

Hah... After all this and I'm still screwed. The whole point is that I'm trying to install this older copy on a G3 in the office, but I didn't see a slip of paper inside with what I thought was the serial. Now that I've got that, I tried installing it and it asks me for some sort of verification number instead, which after a bit of looking online IS supposed to be on a card inside the box.

Hmm...

m19

Ahh.. the Verification Number that is on a bit of paper in the box which has the disk in it. It has Important Instalation Notice or something similar written on it. It's a massive long number. If you dont have it, contact Quark, they will give you one.

Toll-free technical support from Quark is now available if you’re calling from Australia. 1.800.670.973

By the way - you would have to steal the box, because the serial number would only work for that program in that box.

Marcus

I will do that.

Wasn't this fun? ;)

m19

After installation, hold down the option key and choose QuarkXPress>About QuarkXPress to see the serial number of the installed copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back