Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking network IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayee

Technical User
May 27, 2004
GB
Hi,

Could you tell me how a Windows XP user checks the IP address allocated to him by our server whilst connected to our server using VPN.

I thought it was using IPCONFIG at the command prompt, but I'm not sure because it shows my IP address whilst on the VPN as a different number to what I know it really is (because I've successfully connected via Remote Desktop from my home PC to my work PC). It says .56 when I know it is .65

Can you help me please, because I need an accurate IP address for his PC so I can Remote Desktop into it to sort out a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jay/UK

ipconfig should be all you need, once connected to a VPN it will show the IP as assigned by your server.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Hi,

Any idea why IPCONFIG is showing me an incorrect IP address as I mentioned above ?

Regards,
Jay

have you tried

ipconfig /all

and look at the virtual adapters

PinnacleData Systems Ltd (UK)

Cisco VPN installs another Local Area Connection on XP (mine is labelled up as Local Area Connection 2). As Birky suggests, do an IPCONFIG /ALL and check all adapters

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Whether I add /ALL to the IPCONFIG command or not, I still get a different IP address to the one I am using through Remote Desktop which makes me wonder if these IP addresses are the correct ones.

In fact, even more puzzling is that today when I checked IPCONFIG it's given me a different number again to the one I got a few days ago, even though the IP address of my work PC hasn't changed.

Is there a way for the server (SBS 2000) itself to tell me the IP address of the client once it's connected ?

Regards,
Jay/UK

So you are connected to the server yes? Verify that you are connected to the VPN.

Do you use RDP to connect to your desktop or do you just use the VPN connection to access resources?

If just connected to the VPN you won't get the same IP address as your desktop....you would need to run the ipconfig command from your actual desktop when connected via RDP..

You have the VPN address of the REMOTE machine connected to the VPN, and when you run RDP, if you check the ipconfig you will see the address you are expecting....

When on the VPN bear in mind you are connecting to a network so it is likely that every time you connect you will be allocated an address dynamically via DHCP(unless you have static entries)in accordance with the addressing scheme set up on the VPN device - which explains the changes of address. When you then use RDP you connect to a specific machine and that will have the address you are expecting when you run IP config from the RDP window as if you were physically at that machine.

I think this is what you mean I may be confused but you won't get a false IP reading, I hope I have made this clear!

When you connect to your work PC, do you enter the address that you think it should be into RDP and get a valid connection?

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back