Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking IP addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev01

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I have a website on a a dedicated web server.
I would like to get a list of all IP addresses that access my site in real-time. Is there any software that will allow me to view all the IPs addresses connected to my website? And that will also allow me stop a connection from an unwanted IP address.

Thanks in advance,
Kev01

I don't know about a specific application that allows a real-time display, but assuming that you are running IIS it should be easy to achieve the same effect. Just go into Internet Services Manager, select the site that you want to restrict, and go to the Web Site tab. From there you can enable logging. The default directory path for the logs are is %windir%\system32\logfiles\ and from there it's broken down by service. The logs display plenty of detail, and can be tweaked to display additional details. If you find an IP or domain that you want to "ban", go to the Directory Security tab and from there you can define IPs or domains that are not permitted to access the site.

Alternatively, if you're just looking to block search engines from indexing your site, you could try using a robots.txt file, though not all web crawlers seem to adhere to them.

Thanks for your reply,

Would this give me the date and time that the particular IP address connected to my site, the country, city and the ISP of the given IP address?

Thanks in advance,
kev01

download grep.exe from
Run "netstat -n | grep :80" from a command line. This will show you all IP addresses currently connected to port 80 on your machine.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Hi,

thanks for ur replies,

can i stop an IP currently connected to port 80 on my server server in real-time??

thx,
kev01

The web log will show the address, timestamp, and other information. Try it and see. The W3C Extended format has lots of information. If you have DNS resolution enabled (I don't know if IIS will do this), then the log can display the client's host and domain instead of the IP address. This only works if there is a PTR record configured, though.

You can download &quot;tail.exe&quot; from the same source as mrdenny mentioned, and type &quot;tail -f <logfile>&quot; where <logfile> is what you configured iaw kmcferrin's insructions.

How &quot;realtime&quot; do you really want this to be? You could go insane staring at scrolling log entries all day.

As soon as you tell IIS to block the IP the IP should be blocked as soon as you click apply.

Denny

Thanks for ur replies,

I will download grep.exe...and see if that does the job,

Basically, I have members who are registered to my site, and
I would like to know the last / 5 last IP address used by my members. I would like to get smg similar to that:

<member 1> - <192.123.121.31> - <country> - <isp> -<date>
<member 2> - <192.123.123.12> - <country> - <isp> -<date>
and so on..

is that possible??

thanks again,
kev01

To be able to connect an IP address to a user you will need to do some custom logging when people log into your system. That or pass some sort of identifier when they are browsing, and parse through the IIS Logs. Either by hand, or with one of the many IIS Logs reader tools.

Denny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back