Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

checking if a google sitemap exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonindus

Programmer
Dec 7, 2006
GB
i've tried this... to check if a sitemap has been placed in my client's server (i dont have access to do a proper check).

..and got an error saying the file couldn't be found. before i rest assured that the file doesn't exist is their something else i should try... for example does anyone know of a site that scans to check if a sitemap is installed?

A google sitemap is just a file that is accessible to the web so Google can come along and read it.
When you register a site for Google Site Maps you tell it where the file is.

So why not type that URL into a browser? If it's there, it will display in your browser.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

if a sitemap was created i don't know if the developer put the file into a particular folder, but I'm assuming the most effective place to put it would be in the root folder for the URL.

The file could be anywhere and technically be called anything.

Also try:
sitemap.txt
sitemap.xml
sitemap.xml.gz
sitemap.html
urllist.txt
ror.xml

But really you are flying blind here. Can your client not give you either the URL or access to their sitemap account?

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

going off track slightly... are any of the different files extensions that you've listed more effective than others? Or, are they all read by google at the same speed, frequency and accuracy to provide the same information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back