Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking for Duplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirley

Programmer
Aug 30, 1999
US
I have a table called Key Log Out Table that has these fields name:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TransID<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;SiteNumber<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;KeyNumber<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;EmployeeID<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;IssuedDate<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;ReturnedDate<br><br>This table is linked to Site Table, Key Table and Employee Table.&nbsp;&nbsp;On this table there is a site number and a key number assigned to each<br>key, I would like to let the user know if that particular key have already been assigned to someone else because it doesn't have a returned date.&nbsp;&nbsp;But if there is a return date then the user may issue that key out again.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem is that I'm not a very good VB or SQL coding person, but I'm good at developing database.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can not make those three fields the primary key because the return date is sometimes null.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have tried to make the other two fields primary, but then it will not allow me to ever use the site number and key number again.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've even tried to set up a unique index, but I did not know how the coding for that would go.&nbsp;&nbsp;So if anyone has any coding that would enable to to do this, please let me know.

If you are using Oracle, you can set up a composite unique constraint on the site and key columns.&nbsp;&nbsp;If a non-unique site/key combination is entered, an exception will be raised.

Shirley, a select statement may be the answer you're looking for if you simply want to know if the key is booked out or not.<br><br>SELECT COUNT(*) FROM KeyLogOutTable WHERE KeyNumber = 123 AND SiteNumber = 56 AND ReturnedDate IS NULL<br><br>This statement will return 1 if the key is out, 0 otherwise.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you get a number greater than 1 you have a problem because the key is out twice or more!<br><br>Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back