Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking for Blank text boxes in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

benu302000

Programmer
Aug 11, 2004
US
I have a search form set up with multiple text boxes and a search button, which pulls up another form to display the results. I do this by building a "where" statement and sending it as a parameter to the next form. In order to do this, for each portion of the "where" statement I build I have to check to see if there's anything already in the statement (I.E. wether I should concatonate "'[org code]=' & Me![Org Code] " or "and '[org code]=' & Me![Org Code] "

My problem is that when I check to see if there is already anything in the where statement, it seems to always assume that its not empty, even if it is ( I'm using IsNull() to check for empty string ). Is there a different way I should be doing this? Heres my code:

Dim stDocName As String
Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "Search Form Result"

If Not IsNull(Me.Billet_Number) Then
stLinkCriteria = stLinkCriteria & "[Billet Number]=" & Me![Billet Number]
End If

If Not IsNull(Me.Org_Code) Then
If Not IsNull(stLinkCriteria) Then
stLinkCriteria = stLinkCriteria & " and "
End If
stLinkCriteria = stLinkCriteria & "[org code]=" & Me![Org Code]
End If

If Not IsNull(Me.Org_Title) Then
stLinkCriteria = stLinkCriteria & " and "
End If
stLinkCriteria = stLinkCriteria & "[org title]=" & Me![Org Title]
End If

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Thanks in advance

The isnull function will always return false when used on strings, because strings cannot be Null. Try for instance something like this:

[tt]if (len(trim$(stLinkCriteria & vbnullstring))>0) then
' contains values
else
' does not contain anything
end if[/tt]

Roy-Vidar

Replace this:
By this:
If Len(stLinkCriteria) > 0 Then

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back