Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking BOOTLOG for "Windows protection error ", tough problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon707

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
CA
Hi i got an error while installing my Nero-burning software:

"Initializing Device IOS , Windows protection Error"

And i'm trying to follow the microsoft support page for this error at this link:

It tells me to make then check a bootlog.txt file for any driver entry that says "INITCOMPLETE FAILED". I found one called SDVXD. Then it tells me to type "dir /s 'driver name'" to find the driver and re-name it. But when i tyoe that (at command prompt) it can't find the drive for me to re-name, it says "file not found" even though it was in the Bootlog.txt.

Any ideas on how to find it?

P.S I also found a "LoadFailed=ndis2sup.vxd" could this be a problem too?

ok i'm going to follow the intructions in your previous post and then try Deep-Burner and try installing nero again,

but before i do i should mention that each time i install nero it say target folder not empty, files will be deleted, do you want to continue? and this is even after using "crapcleaner" and renameing the instal folder.

I'm going to disconect my cd-rom and disable the 'salves' and untick those entires you mentioned above but was wondering if this "target folder not empty" thing might be an issue in the mean time. But i'll try every thing from your above post anyway.

Simon

"but before i do i should mention that each time i install nero it say target folder not empty, files will be deleted, do you want to continue?"
Then you need to remove the \program files\Ahead folder
and clear out the \WINDOWS\TEMP folder
Also in \Windows clear out everything from the HISTORY, RECENT , COOKIES and Temporary Internet Files folder.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Also WINKEY + F
for Find
Named = WININIT.*
Look in = C:\
Delete all found EXCEPT WININIT.EXE
(should find and delete wininit.bak wininit.ini, etc)
Make sure "search subfolders" is Ticked

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Hey TT4U
quick reminder: we're trying to get rid of a protection error from poping up when i install NERO for my CD-RW AND/OR get deep burner to recognize my the drives for my CD-Burner.

I followed your intructions from your Nov. 9th post and your last 2 posts:
unhooking CD-ROM,
disabling IDE slaves in BIOS,
SYSEDIT change and MSCONFIG changes
deleteing Ahead folder
re-naming install folder
cleaning registry
deleting extra Wininit files
disabling all but explorer and systray.....

installing nero STILL produces a protection error and Deep-Burner still says "no drives found"

stuff you should know:

MSCONFIG unticking "SET CTSYN c:\windows" didn't stick, when i rebooted i found it was ticked again, no i have no idea what that is. (auto exec, and config files in Nov 7th post, colored text)

exrta BOOT-UP prompts. During reboot after unticking every thing in mysconfig i saw a page with a bunch C;\ prompts and lines on it that wouldn't pause. but it disapeared and every thing booted up ok.??want more info on that or not important?

IDE switch I should remind you my old CD-rom , now discontected, USED to be set to master on my secondary IDE, where the CD-RW now is.

Drive leter mix-up A few weeks ago when you asked me to check the properties in the device manager i noticed that on the settings tab for the CD-ROM it said: "Current drive letter assignment E:" but bellow that it had a pair of drop down menu's that said "Reserved drive letter:D" and "End drive letter: D" . I switched those 2 menu's to letter E because i saw that in the settings tab for the CD-RW all letters where 'D' and that the CD_ROM had unmatching letters i it's menu's. But it didn't make a difference so i didn't mention it at the time.

you said: I THINK the problem is you are STILL loading the OLD CDROM driver (Asus) - but for the newer CDRW (A-Open)- a big no-no.

to my question "is there a way to remove all the CD drives and then maybe just get rid of my old cd-rom all together and then let the system re-recognize my burner like new?" you said :

Do these edits first, then if necessary we'll remove all devices and start over.

SO whats next? Do you mean remove all the componets of my computer and re-build them? yikes. can't we just remove the cd-RW and have it re-recognize it?

SIMON. thanks again. :)

Hi to you both,

These posts have been very interesting, thanks.

Can I throw in a 2 cent request:

simon707, could you please post what you see after doing the following:

In Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the Performance tab.
Click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab.

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

"MSCONFIG unticking "SET CTSYN c:\windows" didn't stick, when i rebooted i found it was ticked again, no i have no idea what that is. (auto exec, and config files in Nov 7th post, colored text)"
has to do with the Creative SoundBlaster DOS Drivers

"exrta BOOT-UP prompts. During reboot after unticking every thing in mysconfig i saw a page with a bunch C;\ prompts and lines on it that wouldn't pause. but it disapeared and every thing booted up ok.??want more info on that or not important?"
Perfectly normal and what you want to see - hit the "Pause" key to view and any other to Continue on (fun and learn) the Unticking of @echo off enabled you to view these loading items at boot

"IDE switch I should remind you my old CD-rom , now discontected, USED to be set to master on my secondary IDE, where the CD-RW now is. "
Perfect - now, did a CDROM for installation come with the Drive? if so install it's software (perhaps you need to load it's DOS driver in Config.sys and the MSCDEX.exe in Autoexec.bat) th install procedure would put these entries there, so leave the other SIMILAR ones UNTICKED

" Drive leter mix-up A few weeks ago when you asked me to check the properties in the device manager i noticed that on the settings tab for the CD-ROM it said: "Current drive letter assignment E:" but bellow that it had a pair of drop down menu's that said "Reserved drive letter:D" and "End drive letter: D" . I switched those 2 menu's to letter E because i saw that in the settings tab for the CD-RW all letters where 'D' and that the CD_ROM had unmatching letters i it's menu's. But it didn't make a difference so i didn't mention it at the time."
With the CDROM now removed - go into Device Manager and Assign the CDRW Drive Letter Start and End to D:\ (whatever your old CDROM drive was for long time).
Each (Device) CDROM or RW gets assigned it's OWN drive letter
Also use SYSEDIT and ADD to Config.sys this (directly beneath the STACKS=9,512)
LASTDRIVE=Z

is there a way to remove all the CD drives and then maybe just get rid of my old cd-rom all together and then let the system re-recognize my burner like new?
Surely we can - go ahead and do it - BUT first uninstall ALL burning software and the boot into Safe Mode and go into Device Manager and remove the devices....Reboot

Wash, rinse, Repeat [smile]

TT4U

Notification:

HI TT4U
what i 've done in order i've done it:

1: switched 'start' and 'end' drive letter to "e" in the device manager. Even thought above that it said "Current letter: D" , the Cd-ROM was set to E so i switched the CD-RW to that letter. Rebooted and then all the letters said E in the device manager. Tried Deep-Burner and....ugh...still couldn't detect drives.

2:Went into safe mode and removed CD-RW in device manager, rebooted, saw a "building driver data base" message. Checked it in D.M and saw it said "current drive 'D'" with the 'start' and 'end' fields blank. Used installation procedure (renaming folders,closeing programs ect ect) tried installing Nero again, and got the Protection Error again, uninstalled nero, rebooted. Tried Deep-Burner and got "drives not found" again. bummer.

Is this normal? : when i went into the device manager in safe mode and looked under CD-ROM (before removeing the CD-RW) there where several extra entries NOT found is the same place in normal windows, the list looked like this:
52x24x52 CD-RW
ASUS CD-S500/A
ASUS CD-S500/A
ASUS CD-S500/A
YAMAHA CRW8424E

the first asus entry was assigned to drive "I", the second had curent drive as "E" and the 'start' and 'end' feilds where blank, the third had all drive letter feilds as "E", the Yamaha entry was assigned to letter "H".

Are those extra asus cd' entries for my floppy disk drive wich i know is drive A, sould i remove ALL these enties and try all this again? or have we hit a dead end?

Didn't get this: when you said :
Perfect - now, did a CDROM for installation come with the Drive? if so install it's software (perhaps you need to load it's DOS driver in Config.sys and the MSCDEX.exe in Autoexec.bat) th install procedure would put these entries there, so leave the other SIMILAR ones UNTICKED

did you mean, did a CD-ROM for installation come with the BURNER or the first CD-ROM? the ROM did not, but the BURNER did, thats what NERO express comes on that i keep trying to install, but I don't understan this quote. remember i can't keep nero on the system cause i keep getting the ios error that prevents me from going into normal windows until i uninstall it. " I would put entries where? how would i know wich ones where installed and wich where similar? the installation is automatic, how could i find it's DOS driver or MSCDEX program? And put them anywhere specific?

Sorry about the confusion, SIMON707.

to KOALA15
i went where you said and just a bunch of unticked options.

Are those extra asus cd' entries for my floppy disk drive wich i know is drive A, sould i remove ALL these enties and try all this again?
I had a feeling there'd be "phantom" drives
Add/Remove all software again .....put Deep Burner in the draw for now - use Nero only.
Remove ALL the CDROM CDRW devices form DM in *Safe Mode* and ReBoot.
Install Nero
Reboot
If your HDD has only 1 partition (C:\) - the CDRW should be D:\ not E:\ (only when booting from a 98 startup floppy will it get pushed automatically to E:\)

Don't worry - after this we'll remove the IDE controller....no CDROM drivers necessary for any CDROM/RW drives.

TT4U

Notification:

hi TT4U

I removed all the phantom drives under Device Manager/CD-ROM in safe-mode and tried to install Nero--again, and got the ERROR--- again. (from now on i'll just say "nero failed" and you'll know what i mean!!!)

A few Questions:

Nero before Deep-Burner? If you look at the Nero infool tool results, way up on my Nov 5th post it says:

Nero ASPI : ASPI is not installed

But it says the "system" aspi is working. Thats why i thought Deep-Burner would have a better chance of working if it didn't need a software-specific ASPI where Nero apparently needs it's own. Or is the 'Nero-ASPI' supposed to be installed with "Nero-Express"? Or is my burner is made more for Nero ?? I'm just guessing here.

Is it safe to delete all those install folders
i've renamed to "oldinstal" cause i've got like seven of them now, or is that messing with the system too much?

removing CD-RW When i said i removed the CD-RW and then let the system re-recognize it, i only clicked "remove" in the device manager in safe-mode and then rebooted and let it re-build the driver. I never actually physically uninstalled it. You knew that right? wouldn't make a difference right?

you said :
Don't worry - after this we'll remove the IDE controller....no CDROM drivers necessary for any CDROM/RW drives.

Just so you know that sounds kind of out of my league, so i'll need pretty exact explanation of what all that is and where i'd find it .

Thanks again SIMON :)

SOLUTION FOUND! this post is for anyone who's suscribed to this thread who was following it because they had similar problems.

I've solved the problem finally. I have a VIA KT133 chipset. VIA offers a chipest driver update for this chipset, version 4.43. During installation i noticed one commponent said something like "IDE connection fix". After the installtion i updated my nvidia graphics display driver. Then i tried to install Nero software and got no "device IOS" protection error. And the cd burner works just fine now!

So if forum MVP 'TTFU' reads this, who helped me out the most, look out for those with the KT1## chipset having similar problems, cause there's an IDE fix in the driver updates on VIA's website

hope this helps. Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back