Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking BOOTLOG for "Windows protection error ", tough problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon707

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
CA
Hi i got an error while installing my Nero-burning software:

"Initializing Device IOS , Windows protection Error"

And i'm trying to follow the microsoft support page for this error at this link:

It tells me to make then check a bootlog.txt file for any driver entry that says "INITCOMPLETE FAILED". I found one called SDVXD. Then it tells me to type "dir /s 'driver name'" to find the driver and re-name it. But when i tyoe that (at command prompt) it can't find the drive for me to re-name, it says "file not found" even though it was in the Bootlog.txt.

Any ideas on how to find it?

P.S I also found a "LoadFailed=ndis2sup.vxd" could this be a problem too?

hi simon707
you'll likely find that that is not the problem - nor is the ndis2sup.vxd.

to reassure you see;

----------
Do this;
Run Scandisk from the Command Prompt, then reboot into DOS again - From Commnd prompt only type Scanreg /restore hit enter and choose a copy before the install prob took place that says "Started"

If it still gives probs, then Boot into DOS again and
CD\
CD WINDOWS
DEL WININIT.*

----------

After you can get into Windows again (hopefully) - these are other thoughts for proper install and/or incompatabilities;

have you installed Nero on top of a previous version?
got any other cdrw software installed?

Look in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS for the file NeroCD95.vxd and rename it .old as a test (temporarily - remember you've done this for later)

You may need an ASPI fix, depending on your system specs, or even a Busmaster controller update.

trying to figure out if you can get to safe mode....

Did you disable all running tasks besides Explorer and Systray before installing? especially AV software?

Your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files may contain entries (TSR drivers) that are getting in the way.....or even an entry in System.ini or Win.ini (Start > Run MSCONFIG).

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Also;
check in Windows for an IOS.log file and view the contents - this will tell you which device failed loading
from C:\>
CD WINDOWS
EDIT IOS.LOG

if no such file found try
Attrib -r -s -h -a ios.log
EDIT IOS.LOG

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Hey thanks for the reasurance that those entries are normal.

Could i get more info on the "ASPI fix" you mentioned?

Because i gave up on installing nero and installed Deep-Burner instead. Had no error whith this program but when i tried to burn a CD in the program it would say: " ASPI initalized---Looking for available drivers---No drives found." Looking at the burners properties in the device manager it indentified the burner as "device type: CD-ROM" not as a CD recorder. The drive was provided by microsoft and i guess it's not a CD-Burning driver.

anyway so thats why i'm trying to figure out this error 'cause it must have something to do with why my Deep-Burner can't find my CD burner.

you said : [blue]Your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files may contain entries (TSR drivers) that are getting in the way.....or even an entry in System.ini or Win.ini (Start > Run MSCONFIG). [/blue]

how and where do i check these files and how do i know what to get rid of? can you give me a link or can i post the contents here?

P.S there was no Nero95 file in my IOSUBSYS file,i did disable all running tasks before installing, i won't revert to an earlier registry 'cause this error hapend too long ago.(febuary)

Thanks for your time. simon

who is the CDRW manufacturer?
is it an Internal Drive (IDE) or external (USB)?
OS is 95b/c, 98, or 98SE?
and if the CDRW is recognized by the system - it'll show up under the CDROM section in Device manager.
If Internal CDRW drive - did you install it as Secondary master? and slave the older CDROM drive to it?
You cannot burn to a CDROM drive, you need a CDRW drive.
MS doesn't manu drives...list the IDE devices and hpw they're hooked up.

[i["how and where do i check these files and how do i know what to get rid of? can you give me a link or can i post the contents here?"[/i]

lets get the CDRW recognized first by the system.
If you start > Run MSCONFIG you can view the files I mentioned
...this utility is designed to enable 'ticking' and 'unticking' the checkboxes for t-shooting. Don't do anything just yet though, you can really mess up easily, if you're not familiar.

I assume you uninstalled NERO - I thought perhaps you couldn't even load windows.
What does the IOS.log say (if it still exists)

TT4U

Notification:

hi again;
If you have the 98 CDROM
go to <drive>:\tools\reskit\help and copy the Rk98book.chm file over to the HDD and place in a specific folder you create, so you can always view it.
Double click the file when done to Open and View and type in MSCONFIG in the search box and choose the 1st returned entry to view the info

TT4U

Notification:

oh yeh;
MSCONFIG is 'short' for "System Configuration Utility" - so scroll the long page you open to get to that area first, and then back track or forward and read more if you like.

TT4U

Notification:

HEY TT4U, sorry about responding late.Got distracted by the election.

The CD-Burner is an internal A-Open CRW522 CD-RW, it IS a burner, checking it under the CD-ROM section in the device manager,under properties for the burner and then the 'GENERAL' tab it says "device type: CD-ROM". So it knows its there it just doesn't know its a burner.

I have the CD-RW on the Secondary Master IDE and the first CD-ROM i had switched to the Secondary Slave(because thats the only way i could get the cable to fit/reach both, hard to explain). only the hard drvie is on the primary IDE.

I should mention i tried to use the firmware update from from A-Open's web site, but the update program couldn't find a "target drive".

Yes nero is long gone and the IOS log was blank.
And if i found no file , when you said i should type in : [blue] Attrib -r -s -h -a ios.log" [/blue] did you mean type that exactly or "Attrib -r....THEN Attrib -s.... ect. ect. ??

Thanks for your help, will respond sooner this time :)

that's Ok......
it's been a little time so I may have forgotten something - bear with me....
The prob may be you need better cables (80 conductor, 40pin) because it's a newer CDRW on an older system.....What OS exactly?

Make sure the Jumpers on Both the CDRW and CDROM are correct and connected to the cable correctly - get a New Cable too!

"did you mean type that exactly"
YES, no need to type each, on it's own to remove each attribute - that command removes all available attrib at once to the file specified....check for the File IOS.log in the Windows folder when Windows is loaded (as it is from your ability to get to D Manager)...no need for looking in DOS mode then.

What does Device Manager >> Hard Disk Controllers List as the
"Busmaster" IDE (Exactly) - and beneath it the Primary and Secondary Controllers.?

Make sure the BIOS is set to AUTO detect for each drive (except Primary slave = OFF ) in the IDE Configuration, settings area of the BIOS.

Is the CDRW recognized as such on POST? Turn off "Quick Boot" "Fast Boot", etc to view the Text scroll as System POSTs

Can you PLAY a Music CD with the Drive?

Boot into SafeMode and tell me if you see ANY "ghost" devices (doubles of the same) in DM - or any listed as [?] or [!] or [Unknown]

Try a Brand New cable (80cond).....really...a 52x24x52 drive needs a better data cable

TT4U

Notification:

Hey TT4U

Quick reminder: my Deep-Burner program said "no drives found" when trying to burn.I'm trying to get my Cd-burner working after i got a "device ios error" when trying to intall NERO and had to switch to DEEP-BUrner. See my nov 1st post. you said we trying to get the burner recognized in your first Nov 1st post :).

answer's to your previous post:
****i'm on win98SE,

****NEW CABLES? Yes it works fine as a normal ROM , plays music.So would'nt that mean that the connections are fine? i don't know if I have 80 conductor cables but my system's only four years old. My original CD-ROM says ASUS 50X max on it. I need to know if your recomending new cables as a potential cause for the burner not being recognized or if i'll still need new cables anyway, or just for maximum performance? (cause i'm on a tight budget)

***** IOS LOG?? typed in "Attrib -r -s -h -a ios.log
EDIT IOS.LOG " and got "File not found - ios.log"
+ no "IOS.log" found in windows??

*****AUTO DETECT? in BIOS it says "TYPE: [AUTO] " in the sub-menu for each drive, i take it thats the same as AUTO detect.

******DOES the computer recognize the drive???

in POST there's a first list where it is recognized as:

Detecting Secondary Master: 52x25x52 CD-RW 1.06

then there's a list in a grid where it is recognized as:

Sec. Master Disk: CD-ROM, UDMA 2

*******The hard disk controllers are listed as:
Primary IDE controller [dual fifo]
Secondary IDE controller [dual fifo]
VIA busmaster PCI IDE controller.

******GHOSTS have yet to check safe mode for "ghosts" will get back on that.

THanks for your time.

"Initializing Device IOS , Windows protection Error"
well Either it was never created or it's gone after rebooting properly...wuth the above error, there'd be an Ios.log file somewhere (WINDOWS or Root C:\)....oh well

"Detecting Secondary Master: 52x25x52 CD-RW 1.06
then there's a list in a grid where it is recognized as:
Sec. Master Disk: CD-ROM, UDMA 2"

THis should be fine then

"The hard disk controllers are listed as:
Primary IDE controller [dual fifo]
Secondary IDE controller [dual fifo]
VIA busmaster PCI IDE controller."

This too.ok

-------from earlier---------
"GENERAL' tab it says "device type: CD-ROM""
This is Normal even for burners

"Quick reminder: my Deep-Burner program said "no drives found" when trying to burn.I'm trying to get my Cd-burner working after i got a "device ios error" when trying to intall NERO and had to switch to DEEP-BUrner. See my nov 1st post. you said we trying to get the burner recognized in your first Nov 1st post"

It IS recognized from what you're telling me.
Is DMA ticked in the Burners Properties of Device Manager?...and do BOTH CD Drives Appear under CDROM?
Is it a 350mHz AMD?

Try the ForceASPI fix;

TT4U

Notification:

HEY TT4U

DMA Isn't ticked in the device manager,would this mean it would work with a normal cable?

Yes both CD Drives apear under CD rom

350mhz AMD? what's that? how do i check it?

Do you mean to say that an IOS log would keep track of what went wrong? Like all have to do is try to install it again get the error again and then check for the ios log? And it would give me the answer?

If so: i get the error when it asks me to reboot after instalation of the Nero software, then i can't get into normal windows until i uninstal nero in safe mode, should i look for the IOS.log BEFORE uninsalling Nero or right after getting my system back to normal.

And could you please confirm wether we've illiminated the cable as a likley culprit??

I'll try the ASPI fix and get back tommorow night. thanks for your help i've gotten rid of alot of dead ends i think. I hope we're getting closer!

would my Nero info tool results be helpful?
codecs,drivers,patches removed to keep it shorter
There's some ASPI info below. useful?

Nero InfoTool 2.07

Interface Information
---------------------
Adapter 1
---------
Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : ESDI_506.pdr
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 4.10.2222
Description : ESDI_506 Virtual Device (Version 4.0)

Attached Devices
Description : GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47
Type : Disk Drive
DMA : Off

Adapter 2
---------
Description : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : ESDI_506.pdr
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 4.10.2222
Description : ESDI_506 Virtual Device (Version 4.0)

Attached Devices
Description : 52X24X52 CD-RW
Type : CD-Rom Drive
Autorun : On
Description : ASUS CD-S500/A
Type : CD-Rom Drive
Autorun : On

Software Information
--------------------
Operating System : Windows 98 SE
DirectX : DirectX 8.1

Hardware Information
--------------------
CPU : AMD Athlon Processor 800 MHz
Bus Speed : 100 MHz
Motherboard : ASUSTeK <A7V>
System : System System Name
BIOS : Award ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
Memory : 128 MB
Sound : SB Live! Wave Out [A000]
Video : ASUS AGP-V7100 SDRAM v12.60

ASPI Information
----------------
System ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly

WNASPI32.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 45056 bytes May 13, 2000
APIX.VXD : 4.60 (1021) 22603 bytes May 13, 2000
WINASPI.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 5600 bytes May 13, 2000
ASPIENUM.VXD : 4.60 (1021) 7743 bytes May 13, 2000

Nero ASPI : ASPI is not installed

350mhz AMD? what's that? how do i check it?
you have an AMD CPU @ 800MHz....the articles previous talk about 350mhz to 1.xGHz AMD CPUs

Do you mean to say that an IOS log would keep track of what went wrong? Like all have to do is try to install it again get the error again and then check for the ios log? And it would give me the answer?

basically yes

should i look for the IOS.log BEFORE uninsalling Nero

before

And could you please confirm wether we've illiminated the cable as a likley culprit??

yes - after seeing your system specs

The info you posted is very helpful and "should" be all we need - UNTIL we can get the DMA to work for all drives...

Right click My Computer >> Properties >> Performance
- does it say "Your Computer is configured for Optimal performance?" or does it show Some drives are using "MS-DOS Compatability Mode"

If so (msdos mode), see this;

then - Enable DMA under CDROMs for both CDROMs
Let me know.....

TT4U

Notification:

*******yes it say says my compuiter is "Your Computer is configured for Optimal performance?"

******* i got DMA checked in my burners drive in the D.M
but when i checked it inthe ASUS CD-ROM i rebotted and then it was unchecked, tried twice. I check it, it asks me to reboot and then when i get back it's not checked any more. Weird. whats wrong with that? should i check DMA any where else?

*********i tried deep burner anyway on my CD_BURNER that i did get DMA checked and it still says "ASPI initalized---Looking for available drivers---No drives found"

********should i still try that ForceASPI fix after seeing the ASPI info in my NERO INFO tOOL above? (blue text)?

*******Just realized that article on my processor (AMD 350mhz?) was from the other thread, whoops, will read and get back.

Simon

Hey TT4U, quick update

*****the ForcefixASPI link says it's ASPI version: 4.60 (1021)
wich is what my nero info tool says my ASPI is. Unless adaptec makes a different version of 4.60 i guess that means i allready have that ASPI.

******DMAI just re-read my link above and think my DMA explanation didn't make sense. Let me try that again:

I went into the device manager and checked DMA for both my A-open CD-RW and also in my ASUS CD-ROM. I was told i needed to reboot for these changes to take effect. I rebooted and checked the device manager, the DMA was still checked in the CD-RW but not in my CD-ROM. ??

********** IOS.LOG found I re-installed Nero-express (the bundled software that came with my CD-RW) and got the "While initializing device ios: Windows protection error". I got a blank IOS.LOG at the command prompt but found one when i went into safe mode in the 'windows' folder. Remember that when i looked there before there was none, but now after getting the error again...i have one. Does this tell you anything??

Unit number 00 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 01 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 02 going through real mode drivers.

Driver Name: io.sys
Block Driver controlling 03 unit(s)
Driver Info:
Driver Address: 0070005E
IOSYS INT 13: F000B01E
INT 13 Hook: 007003EE
INT 4B Hook: F000EF6F
INT 4F Hook: 007004FC
Config.sys line number: 00000000

Driver Name: himem.sys
Character Driver
Driver Info:
Driver Address: 020B0000
Hardware interrupt hook map: 00000001

Driver Name: dblbuff.sys
Character Driver
Driver Info:
Driver Address: 02540000
INT 13 Hook: 02540148

Driver Name: ifshlp.sys
Character Driver
Driver Info:
Driver Address: 030E0000

Autoexec Date/Time Stamp: 00000000

thanks for your time

Post your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files here please;

TT4U

Notification:

Ok i went into MSCONFIG and had to copy and paste every line individualy from the two files.

***"[]" means a checked box (all boxes where checked)
*** WIN means the windos logo
***all line spaces are deliberate form the files
***notice the two lines that start with 'rem' that don't have check boxes. the second 'rem' line at the bottom of the Autoexec.bat file was too long to fit on one line in here, but the 'C;' path below it is supposed to be part of the same line.

CONFIG.SYS

[] WIN DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
[] DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
[]DOS=HIGH,UMB
[]FILES=35
[]BUFFERS=35
[]DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
[]DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\GEN-IDE.SYS /D:MSCDOO1
[]STACKS=9,512

AUTOEXEC.BAT

[]@C:\SIERRA\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
[]@ECHO OFF
[]SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
[]SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
[]C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
[]CLS
[]WIN PROMPT $P$G

[]PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\

[]SET DIRCMD=/O
[] WIN SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

rem - By Windows Setup - LH MOUSE
[]LH C:\MYDOCU~1\MYPICT~1\GAMES\MF\SYS.EXE
rem - By Windows Setup - LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /M:8

[] @SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.1\ADOBEC~1

Are we still trying to get the DMA boxes checked or is that what your trying to figure out with this?(my previous two posts about the DMA situation)

Thanks SIMON :)

The DMA issue is somewhat of a side issue - IF - that ASUS CDROM drive isn't an old clunker (more than 5yrs old....came with system? did it?).

I THINK the problem is you are STILL loading the OLD CDROM driver (Asus) - but for the newer CDRW (A-Open)- a big no-no.
Start > Run MSCONFIG
and untick this entry in Config.sys and Reboot;
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\GEN-IDE.SYS /D:MSCDOO1

Post back with results
btw - Is most of your Data/Docs/Emails/Music/Profile settings/Favs/Application EXE or ZIP that you don't have on CD if any, etc Backed up?.

Also - for pasting purposes in the future Start > Run SYSEDIT for easy copying and pasting of most MSCONFIG files....be careful not to alter it unless you want to - it still gets read via the system and is the old ver of msconfig, without the nice check boxes (I use it to make modifications permanent too, once their tested using msconfig).

TT4U

Notification:

hey TT4U

I unticked the line you asked in MSCONFIG, and rebotted.
Botted up fine, no crashes and no i don't have anything backed up, thats what i need the burner for. And yes the first ASUS CD-ROM came with the system.(four years old)

So i tried Deep-Burner and it still won't find the drives, tried to reinstall Nero with the tips you gave me on the other thread (clean registry, re-name 'instal' folder)but got the same "While Initializing device IOS: Windows protection Error" message. So i uninstalled Nero.

I take it there where no leads in that IOS file i found, any other things to do in the MSCONFIG?

You said:
I THINK the problem is you are STILL loading the OLD CDROM driver (Asus) - but for the newer CDRW (A-Open)- a big no-no.

is there a way to remove all the CD drives and then maybe just get rid of my old cd-rom all together and then let the system re-recognize my burner like new? Or anything else to try first?, i get the feeling we're running out of options.

Thanks for your help!!! Simon

P.S i'm in eastern standard time and will check back around 11am tomorow. off to bed.

Power off and
Disconnect the ASUS CDROM completely from the SYS - we've got to get rid of that "protection error" , so just have HDD(as PMaster), and A-Open CDRW(as SMaster) - disable (off) other IDE slaves in BIOS.

Start run SYSEDIT and increase the FILES=35 line to 60 in Config.sys, so FILES=60 --then File Menu >> Save (60 is the Default and MS says you must use ATLEAST the default amount)

(make sure the
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\GEN-IDE.SYS /D:MSCDOO1 is STILL unticked, and theree are NO doubles)

also UNTICK these temporarily in MSCONFIG's
Autoexec.bat

@C:\SIERRA\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
(the AV scanning software should ALWAYS be disabled for installs - AND use CTRL+ALT+DEL to use TaskManager to "EndTask" on everthing BUT Explorer and Systray, just before running the Install setup program)

@ECHO OFF

SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS (what is this ? anyway)

LH C:\MYDOCU~1\MYPICT~1\GAMES\MF\SYS.EXE

"is there a way to remove all the CD drives and then maybe just get rid of my old cd-rom all together and then let the system re-recognize my burner like new?"
Do these edits first, then if necessary we'll remove all devices and start over.

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back