Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking an HD in it;'s entirety

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedbartender

Technical User
Nov 25, 2011
US
A sure there's an app out there for this, just can't find it. Would like to search the entire harddrive for data that matches a few patters: A partial name, number, areacode, etc.

Then show me the data next to it.

Surely such an app exists?

If so, would love to know about it.

Many thanks ahead,

Sergio

Well am looking for something NON-file dependant. Want to search old space, reused space, etc,.

This isnt what your asking for but could help if the location these files were was very large, then you could pin-point its location.

Treesize:
"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

Again, it's not a deleted file. Let me put it another way, and maybe someone can help me in another way....

am looking for lost info. FIles lopng dleted etc. But since this machine has bearely been used, it's posssible the data is sitting in an a now UNused part of the HD. Unused, but still having old data on it.

I am a C programmer. Maybe I should look to see hot to startr the pointer at Sector zero...then scan till the last sector? Looking for my matches?

What do you think?

Thanks for all the input so far. Thiss is a great forum(s)

Sergio

what you want is probably a forensic tool such as:

X-Ways Forensics: Integrated Computer Forensics Software

also take a gander at the following website, it has some great info on various types of forensic software, both commercial and free:

Computer Forensic Software Tools Downloads

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Again, it's not a deleted file.   Let me put it another way, and maybe someone can help me in another way....

am looking for lost info.  FIles lopng dleted etc.  But since this machine has bearely been used, it's posssible the data is sitting in an a now UNused part of the HD.  Unused, but still having old data on it.

So has it been deleted or not? As was mentioned a forensic drive tool may be what you are looking for.

If it has been deleted, then recovering deleted files would be the first step.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

PCTools used to be able to do what you want. It had a raw data display of the location on the drive being scanned and you could move forward or back using the arrow keys. It didn't matter whether the file was deleted of not.

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back