Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checking a folder for new files

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjorgi

Programmer
Apr 4, 2005
US
Hi,
I would like my script to check for any new files in a folder and open them as soon as they are saved in that folder. Folder is located on another machine and both machines are network connected.
I am not looking for complete solution, just a friendly nudge in the right direction...

Take a look at file mtime:
file mtime name ?time?
Returns a decimal string giving the time at which file name was last modified. If time is specified, it is a modification time to set for the file (equivalent to Unix touch). The time is measured in the standard POSIX fashion as seconds from a fixed starting time (often January 1, 1970). If the file doesn't exist or its modified time cannot be queried or set then an error is generated.

Perhaps you can maintain a variable of the time you check the directory (using glob) and query mtime for any files after that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back