Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checkboxes nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

huv123

Technical User
Sep 10, 2005
AU
I am trying to build a form for a question. It asked people about preferences about which hand they use to perform during a number of tasks.

Vertically are the tasks i.e. writing, using a spoon etc..

Horizontally are 2 columns (Left and Right) each of which contains two check boxes. In this way each task corresponds to 4 checkboxes - 2 for left and 2 for right.

The participant is told that if their preference for particular task is so strong that they would never use another hand unless forced to they should put two ticks in the column corresponding to the hand that they use.

If they have a medium preference for one hand over another put only one tick in that column.

If they dont care which hand they use, put one tick in each hand (i.e. one in left and one in right).

If you dont perform the task at all leave all the checkboxes unticked.

You should not be able to tick all four boxes or two ticks in one column and one in the other because it doesnt make sense.
Furthermore, the way its scored is that:

1. you total the number of ticks in the "left" and "right". 2. You also have to substact the left total from the right total ("difference").
3. You then divide the "difference" by the "total" and multiply by 100 to give you your score.

I can probably work out how to do the calculations because I could make a query to calculate all these things. However when I am creating the table do I have to create 4 variables for each question i.e. Q1L1, Q2L2, Q1R1, Q1R2 etc..? Is this the best way to do it?

How do I put rules in place so the participant cannot pick all 4 or pick 2 and 1?

With regards to having 4 checkboxes for each question, in the graphical design I cant change anything about this howeverI was not aware that there was a group function like option groups etc that I could use for check boxes. Do you mean using a before update event that records a value for a single field depending on the combination of checkboxes selected? Thats a lot of code since each line of boxes can have 15 possible combinations.

huv123 . . .

This thread is way too long. Start a new thread referencing this one (copy/paste the thread number just under the title at the top, and pick up where you left off . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997
Also faq181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back