Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Checkbox Validation Using ID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebbieC

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
I have 2 sets of checkboxes and I don't want the customer to submit the form unless they have checked at least one checkbox in either set.

I am giving each set of checkboxes the same name because of the code used to send the information through an e-mail.

This is what I have:

Code:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!-- 
function checkCheckBoxes() {
if (document.Needs_Assessment.Communication_Skills.checked == false &&
document.Needs_Assessment.Professional_Development.checked == false)
{
alert ('Please select at least one class prior to submitting this survey.');
return false;
}
else
{
return true;
}
}
//-->
</script>

<form method="POST" action="Response.asp" name="FrontPage_Form1" onsubmit="return checkCheckBoxes(this)" action="">

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" value="Counseling Improved Performance">Counseling Improved Performance

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" value="Choose Your Battles">Choose Your Battles

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" value="Documentation and File Building">Documentation and File Building

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" value="CPR/First Aid">CPR/First Aid

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" value="Creating Your Career">Creating Your Career

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" value="How to Build Self-Esteem">How to Build Self-Esteem

I think I have to use unique id's for each checkbox but I don't know how to change the javascript validation code for that.

You pretty much have it, just give each checkbox an id and in your function use the .getElementById() method.

This is very easy, so I don't want to do it for you.

Suppose I give one of your checkboxes an id of cBox1.

I get that object by doing document.getElementById("cBox1")

Since it is a checkbox, I can see if it is checked or not like you did above, with the .checked method.

I know you can get the rest.

[monkey][snake] <.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed was the getElementByID part.

Thanks again.

I tried this but it's not quite working. I actually have 5 checkbox groups. I only put 2 in the original code to simplify my question. I need it to only submit the form if at least one checkbox is checked in ANY group. I want it to return an error message if they don't select ANY checkboxes in ANY group but the code I have is returning the error message if they have selected one - it's requiring two. I had to put each one in the parans just to get it to do that. Otherwise they had to check at least one in each group.

Here it is:

Code:
<!-- 

function checkCheckBoxes() 

{
if ((document.getElementById("1").checked == false) &&
(document.getElementById("2").checked == false) &&
(document.getElementById("3").checked == false) &&
(document.getElementById("4").checked == false) &&
(document.getElementById("5").checked == false))
	{
	return false;
	}
else
	{
	return true;
	 }
}
//-->
</script>

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" id="1" value="Counseling Improved Performance">Counseling Improved Performance

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" id="1" value="Choose Your Battles">Choose Your Battles

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" id="1" value="Documentation and File Building">Documentation and File Building

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" id="2" value="CPR/First Aid">CPR/First Aid

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" id="2" value="Creating Your Career">Creating Your Career

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" id="2" value="How to Build Self-Esteem">How to Build Self-Esteem

<input type="checkbox" name="Time_Management" id="3" value="Goal Setting">Goal Setting

<input type="checkbox" name="Time_Management" id="3" value="How to Achieve More in Less Time">How to Achieve More in Less Time

....etc

Id's have to be unique, you have multiple HTML elements with the same id.

Since you have multiple checkbox groups, you should probably use the name instead of id. Here I wrote this up for you which will find what is not checked. Based on what group is missing a checked checkbox, it will return the desired message. I did this for 2 of the 5 groups you have, all you have to do is add the other 3 groups to checkCheckboxes. *Tested.

Code:
function checkCheckboxGroup(cbName) {
   var checkBoxArray = document.forms['formName'].elements[cbName];
   var checkBoxArrayLength = checkBoxArray.length
   for (a = 0; a < checkBoxArrayLength; a++) {
      if (checkBoxArray[a].checked) {
         return true;
      }
   }
   return false;
}

var allGroupsChecked = true;
   allGroupsChecked = checkCheckboxGroup("Communication_Skills");
   if (!allGroupsChecked) {
      alert("Please check at least one box in the Communication Skills area.");
      return false;
   }
   allGroupsChecked = checkCheckboxGroup("Professional_Development");
   if (!allGroupsChecked) {
      alert("Please check at least one box in the Professional Development area.");
      return false;
   }
   return true;
}

[monkey][snake] <.

Thanks for your response however I don't want them to be required to check at least one in EACH group, I just need them to check at least one in ANY group. It doesn't look like this code will work for this. Will it?

Are all these checkboxes within a single large div that doesn't contain any other checkboxes or <input> tags??

If so, we can do this check easily.

[monkey][snake] <.

No, there isn't a large div with all 5 groups of checkboxes in it. I thought about using one but I'm not real familiar with using them in Javascript. Would this work:

Code:
<!-- 

function checkCheckBoxes() 

{
if document.getElementById("1").checked == false
	{
	return false;
	}
else
	{
	return true;
	 }
}
//-->
</script>

<Div ID="1">

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" value="Counseling Improved Performance">Counseling Improved Performance

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" value="Choose Your Battles">Choose Your Battles

<input type="checkbox" name="Communication_Skills" value="Documentation and File Building">Documentation and File Building

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" value="CPR/First Aid">CPR/First Aid

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" value="Creating Your Career">Creating Your Career

<input type="checkbox" name="Professional_Development" value="How to Build Self-Esteem">How to Build Self-Esteem

<input type="checkbox" name="Time_Management" value="Goal Setting">Goal Setting

<input type="checkbox" name="Time_Management" value="How to Achieve More in Less Time">How to Achieve More in Less Time

....etc

</Div>

Or do I have to use a Label? I saw that used somewhere too but I didn't know how I would refer to it in the Javascript.

Ok, just got back from lunch. What you show in your example above is perfect. Just one thing, an id with beginning with a number is not a valid id, so you can call it "div1" instead.

Assuming that div is called "div1", you automatically know that ALL <input> tags are checkboxes within "div1".

So, you just loop through each checkbox and see if any at all are checked. This can be done like so in the function checkCheckBoxes:

Code:
   var checkboxArray = document.getElementById("div1").getElementsByTagName("input");
   var checkboxArrayLength = checkboxArray.length;
   for (a = 0; a < checkboxArrayLength; a++) {
      if (checkboxArray[a].checked) {
         return true;
      }
   }
   alert ("Please select at least one class prior to submitting this survey.");
   return false;
}

That should be all you need.  
I use getElementsByTagName to get all the <input> tags that are contained within "div1".

Then I loop through each <input> tag (in this case each checkbox)

If I find one checked, I return true,  if I never returned true, I return false with an alert.

[monkey][snake] <.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back